[comp.sys.amiga.tech] ARexx current directory woes

bryan@chroma.UUCP (Bryan Ford) (05/25/89)

Is  there  an easy fix for ARexx's current-directory problem (not giving it
to  the  ARexx  process  when  RX  is run)?  I know you could just pass the
current  directory  to  the  script  as an argument, but that looks bad and
seems  messy  and  is slow.  Does WShell fix this?  Would it be possible to
write  a  replacement  for  the  RX  command  which  would pass the current
directory?  (I'll try making one if nothing easier and better comes up.)

Please E-MAIL only.  (Unless mail doesn't go through, of course.) I'll post
a summary.  Also, if this has been discussed before, forgive me, I just got
back on Usenet less than a month ago.

Thanks in advance.

				Bryan

--

     ______________________________________
   _/ Bryan Ford - bryan@chroma.inland.com \_

In <0667.AA0667@chroma>, bryan@chroma.UUCP (Bryan Ford) writes:
> Is  there  an easy fix for ARexx's current-directory problem (not giving it
> to  the  ARexx  process  when  RX  is run)?  I know you could just pass the
> current  directory  to  the  script  as an argument, but that looks bad and
> seems  messy  and  is slow.  Does WShell fix this?  Would it be possible to
> write  a  replacement  for  the  RX  command  which  would pass the current
> directory?  (I'll try making one if nothing easier and better comes up.)

The next revision of ARexx will have a vastly improved current directory
inheritance mechanism. Meanwhile, one solution is through the use of the
pragma() keyword.

	/* example */

	parse arg root

	if words(root) = 0 then root = pragma('d')

	say showdir(root)

	/* end */

This is still not overly pretty, but at least it's hidden inside the program,
and saves you the ugliness of specifying current dir on the command line.

> Please E-MAIL only.  (Unless mail doesn't go through, of course.) I'll post
> a summary.  Also, if this has been discussed before, forgive me, I just got
> back on Usenet less than a month ago.

I have posted this because I think it's of general interest. Please don't let
that stop you from posting any other solutions you might receive.

-larry

--
  - Don't tell me what kind of a day to have! -
|   //   Larry Phillips                                                |