[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Rebooting

u586182058ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (0040;0000009890;0;340;143;) (05/25/89)

What does the Amiga do when you reboot? I noticed on dragon's Lair,
it seems to pause an awfully long time. Is it possible to change a
vector somewhere and have the Amiga run your code instead of the
reboot sequence?

 - Frank Kuan
   u586182058ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (05/31/89)

I understand that Dragon's Lair uses the Read Only RAM as regular memory.
It can get away with this because it takes over the machine and doesn't
use Kickstart.  So to get out of it you must reboot.

Somewhere on UseNet I thought I read the steps to booting.  I don't know
where, though.  Sorry.

Dana

page%swap@Sun.COM (Bob Page) (06/01/89)

u586182058ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu Frank Kuan wrote:
>What does the Amiga do when you reboot?

This should be in the 'most asked questions' posting, along with
"what does color X mean on startup?"

- Clear Chips      (screen turns blue on custom chip failure)
- Disable DMA and Interrupts
- Clear the Screen
- Check the Hardware
- Pass or fail the Hardware to the Screen (dark grey if OK)
- Checksum the WCS (OS does not checksum the ROM)
- Pass or fail the WCS to the Screen (displays "Insert Kickstart" screen)
- System setup
- Check the for RAM at $C00000
- Move SYS_BASE to $C00000 if it exists
- RAM Test
- Pass or fail the RAM to the Screen (green if bad)
- Check the Software
- Pass or fail the Software to the Screen (light grey if OK)
- Set up the RAM
- Link the Libraries
- Find External RAM and link it to the list
- Set up Interrupts and DMA
- Start default Task
- Check for 68010, 68020, and 68881
- Check for an Exception (screen yellow if found and GURU handler not set up)
- System Reset

>Is it possible to change a vector somewhere and have the Amiga
>run your code instead of the reboot sequence?

Yes.  This is one of those Amiga Secrets, most people don't discuss it
because (presumably) it encourages crackers to write viruses and other
nasty stuff.

..bob

utoddl@ecsvax.UUCP (Todd M. Lewis) (06/01/89)

In article <107432@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, page%swap@Sun.COM (Bob Page) writes:
> u586182058ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu Frank Kuan wrote:
> >What does the Amiga do when you reboot?
>
> This should be in the 'most asked questions' posting, along with
> "what does color X mean on startup?"
>
> [excellent list of things-that-happen-on-reboot deleted.]

Respectfully, this, "what does color X mean on startup?" and a few
hundred other items in that vein SHOULD be in the technical
sections of the manuals that SHOULD come with every machine.
That the computer gives information (keyboard lights blinking,
screen colors, little musical notes on power-on, etc.) that
cannot be interpreted by the poor slug who bought the darned
thing because they are not documented is a real problem.

Sorry.  Didn't mean to shout.  Hope no one was offended.  Perhaps
there should be a note included with the machine that says
something to the effect, "Lots of the technical questions you
will have are answered in the 'most asked questions' posting
in comp.sys.amiga/comp.sys.amiga.tech on usenet."

Oops.  There I go again.  I'm calm now.  Actually, it's been
quite a while since I bought an Amiga, and I don't really know
what information is included with them.  (Can you guess what
I think isn't included?)

> ..bob

(You're doing a great job as moderator.  Thanks.)
_____
  |      Todd M. Lewis            Disclaimer: If you want my employer's
  ||\/|  utoddl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu             ideas, you'll have to
  ||  || utoddl@ecsvax.bitnet                 _buy_ them.
   |  ||
       |___   (Never write a program bigger than your screen.)