[comp.sys.amiga.tech] TOOLTYPE woes

farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) (05/30/89)

Okay, here's the problem:  I've done a port of Crystal Quest, the
Macintosh game.  In order to allow the most flexibility and friendlyness
for y'all out there, all of the necessary support files and directories
are held in the .info file TOOLTYPE strings.  However...

1) When the files are copied onto a hard drive, subsequent calls to
   FindToolType may or may not work properly.  There are seven types,
   and more often than not, one or the other of them is screwed up.

2) When using the Workbench INFO function to add or replace tooltypes,
   again, more often than not, one or more of the types is corrupt
   after the operation.

What's going on?  Not being able to replace the existing tooltypes
will be a BIG pain later on - I'll have to either hardwire file and
directory names, or create a .rc type file specially for the game,
both of which I'm loathe to do.  And not being able to copy the game
onto a hard drive is a big problem NOW.

--
Mike Farren 					 uucp: well!farren

trantow@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Jerry J Trantow) (05/30/89)

Mike,
I have been leary about posting the same report (INFO scrambling the ToolTypes)
because I was also modifying the Tools with another of my own programs and
thought it might be my own fault.
I noticed that sometimes when I would edit a Tool and exit info when I went
back into info one of the tools might be screwed up. (usually another Tool
would be appended to it)  Since the ToolTypes have not been used very often
or very well I would not doubt if some bugs still exist.
BTW, I still think the exactly 3 digit requirement on WINDOW= for the
NotePad ToolType is awfully lame!

Jerry J. Trantow          | When wealth is lost,
1560 A. East Irving Place | nothing is lost,
Milwaukee, Wi 53202-1460  | When character is lost,
(414) 289-0503            | All is lost.

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (06/11/89)

Jerry, I read in one of the magazines (I think) that Info gets
confused sometimes when it saves your TOOLTYPE changes to disk.
It loses the ending NULL which causes the routines reading the
TOOLTYPE to act funny.  That's why when you go back to Info and
look at the TOOLTYPES there are more characters there than what
you put in.  The recommendation made was to check every change
made to TOOLTYPES by calling Info up a second time.  If what
you see in the window is correct then the TOOLTYPE has been
correctly saved.  I ran into a problem once with a program I
was running via Xicon.  Took several tries to get a good save
of the TOOLTYPES.  I ended up deleting all the TOOLTYPES, saving
and retyping them back in via the add gadget.

Hope this helps you with your problem.

Dana

trantow@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Jerry J Trantow) (06/12/89)

In article <19333@cup.portal.com> FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) writes:
>Jerry, I read in one of the magazines (I think) that Info gets
>confused sometimes when it saves your TOOLTYPE changes to disk.
>It loses the ending NULL which causes the routines reading the
>TOOLTYPE to act funny.  That's why when you go back to Info and
>Dana

I have been bitten by this bug quite a few times.  Is there any
way to correct this?  Will it be fixed in some intermediate release?

Along with fixing this problem, how about a way to tell WorkBench that
a program has modified an Icon so we don't have to close and open the
window for changes to be acknowledged?