[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Lattice Limits

shs@uts.amdahl.com (Steve Schoettler) (06/16/89)

In article <0857.AA0857@chroma> bryan@chroma.UUCP (Bryan Ford) writes:
>In <18938@cup.portal.com>, (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>>2) (red-faced) I was informed by another person the "large" compiler model of
>>   Lattice 5.02 does not have the 512-byte "#define" limit...
>
>Hmmm...I didn't know this!  Where does it say?  Has the 256-byte (or
>something like that) limit on string constants been removed, or at least
>increased, as well?
>				Bryan

Here's the real story (I've been using Lattice 5.02) :
	lc1b has bigger limits than lc1, but they're still not big enough.
	(One of my include files has a 150 line #define!)

So, no biggie, I thought, just port the GNU pre-processor, and get around
the #define limits of Lattice.  Well, that worked, but I ran into
other limitations: string constants and expressions.
These limits also seem to be higher in lc1b, but still not big enough.

I don't know why they can't handle if() statements with 50 terms in them!
Manx and Lattice have let me down.  I would prefer to use the Amiga for
code development, but the only "industrial" C compilers I can find
are on commercial unix boxes.

I don't usually flame on usenet, but there's no reason why the Amiga C
compilers have to remain toys.  Lattice has a lot of experience making
compilers.  Do they start over from scratch with each new machine port?

PLEA: Give me a compiler with no limits!  Use the HUGE BIG MONGO model;
      Use as much memory as my machine has to store strings, #defines,
      expressions, symbols, etc.   Handle .o files >32K.
      I didn't buy the memory for nothing.
      Then, get the code right before you get it optimized.

Thanks,
Steve

--

        Steve Schoettler