[comp.sys.amiga.tech] 1.4/1.5 suggestion--PROBLEM with Printer.Device

joe@lakesys.UUCP (Joe Pantuso) (06/23/89)

When you have on dithering for grey scales and are using smoothing, the
"grey" areas come out as "squigliy" patterns.  As far as I can tell this
is because the image first is converted the the dithered pattern in black
and white and then goes through the smoothing algorythm.

So if the device is re-written to smooth first and then convert colors to
dotpatterns the results should be much more satisfactory.

Agree?

JP

--
Joe Pantuso		joe@lakesys.lakesys.com
Home(414)259-1897  Work(414)281-8700  Software ONE

daveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) (06/27/89)

In article <756@lakesys.UUCP> joe@lakesys.UUCP (Joe Pantuso) writes:

>When you have on dithering for grey scales and are using smoothing, the
>"grey" areas come out as "squigliy" patterns.  As far as I can tell this
>is because the image first is converted the the dithered pattern in black
>and white and then goes through the smoothing algorythm.
>
>So if the device is re-written to smooth first and then convert colors to
>dotpatterns the results should be much more satisfactory.
>
>Agree?

	No, that is not how it works.  The printer device first computes
the new information (smooths) and then the drivers dither.  The 'problem'
is in the smoothing algorithm.  It is fast but very simple and thus under
certain conditions one can get sqiggly lines.  To see this in action,
do a print out in b&w mode sometime, it does no dithering BUT you'll
see the same artifacting.

	Solution: a (slower) more intellligent smother (not do-able in
the forseeable future).