[comp.sys.amiga.tech] multiple serial ports

In article <347@antares.UUCP> jms@antares.UUCP (Joe Smith) writes:
>Some older terminals
>will lose data if the host sends more than 3 characters after the terminal
>sends XOFF.  Here is where having a FIFO on the input side of the UART can
>work against you.  And it's even worse if the DMA on the output side of the
>UART cannot be quickly disabled.  Very nasty to have 16 characters sent to
>the terminal after it says to stop.

	Nothing should require immediate response to ^S.  By it's very nature,
a number of characters may have already been sent/queued, and the host repsonse
time may vary.

	If you need immediate response, use CTS/RTS.

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

scotty@ziggy.UUCP (Scott Drysdale) (01/18/89)

In article <347@antares.UUCP> jms@antares.UUCP (Joe Smith) writes:
>[I've changed the title and sent followups to comp.sys.amiga.tech]
>One killer problem that I have come across is when the terminal at the other
>end demands immediate response to XON/XOFF.  For instance: Lets say you have
>smooth-scrolling VT100 terminal running at 9600 baud.  As the host tries to
[... stuff deleted ...]

yes, that's a good argument for the CPU-on-board approach, and i think
i mentioned it in my original posting.  XON/XOFF processing is one of the
things that my polling routine on the on board CPU will perform every
millisecond for each of the 8 ports, stopping the UART TX cold, with
at most 3 bytes leaking out of the transmitter.  unfortunately, the CPU
i would use (186 at 8Mhz) isn't fast enough to put hardware handshake
polling in there too, so the maximum latency for that would be much
higher (probably around 20 bytes).  if it is a problem, the 8530's built-in
hardware handshake could be enabled, but RS232 being the "standard" that it
is that won't make everyone happy.

>+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>| TYMNET:JMS@F29  CA:"POPJ P,"  UUCP:{ames|pyramid}oliveb!tymix!antares!jms  |
>| INTERNET:(Real Soon Now)   Amiga Hacker   PHONE:Joe Smith @ (408)922-6220  |
>+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

  --Scotty

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (01/20/89)

hbdortch@sactoh0 (Howard B. Dortch) (06/17/89)

I am trying to interface a touch screen to my amiga. It requires
the use of the serial port. My problem is that I have to use the
serial port to talk to an STD bus computer. How can I get another
serial port and how do I access it in assembly language?

#         PRIVATE             #  Serving The State Capitol  #
#         PARKING             #  Of California: sactoh0     #

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (06/21/89)

In article <1057@sactoh0> hbdortch@sactoh0 (Howard B. Dortch) writes:
>I am trying to interface a touch screen to my amiga. It requires
>the use of the serial port. My problem is that I have to use the
>serial port to talk to an STD bus computer. How can I get another
>serial port and how do I access it in assembly language?

We'll be shipping our serial board in a few weeks. If you've got an
A2000, you can plug it in.  We supply a serial.device compatible driver
and our board has a DB-25, just like the Amiga's built-in port.  We're
Checkpoint Technologies.  If you would like more information, give us a
call.  Our number is (703) 330 - 5353.

aaron@madnix.UUCP (Aaron Avery) (06/21/89)

ASDG has a dual serial board for the Amiga 2000 which should provide for your
needs.
You would access it from assembly language the same way you should access the
Amiga's serial port. That's using the serial.device compatible device I/O
provided for with the board.

--
Aaron Avery, ASDG Inc.         "A mime is a terrible thing to waste."
                                                             -- Robin Williams

ba@m2-net.UUCP (Bill Allen) (06/27/89)

or call Sharewarer's BBS at 313-473-2020 24hrs, PCP thru MIDET, 100% Amiga