[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Sozbon-C Update

jlydiatt@jlami.wimsey.bc.ca (Jeff Lydiatt) (06/22/89)

I've just finished a full port of the Sozobon-C C compiler to the Amiga
and wanted to upload it to comp.sources.amiga, but I can't seem to make
contact with Bob Page, the moderator.

	The address "page%swap.Sun.COM" is rejected by the mail daemon at a
nearby site.  Can anybody tell me Bob's address?

The port is a substantial rework of Joe Montgomery's work, which fixes a
few bugs and generates XDEF and XREF directives for Charlie Gibbs A68k
Assembler.  I also ported over the optimizer from the Atari version.  It
does some interesting optimizations which makes the code more efficient as
well as reducing the overall size.  The source also includes a port of a
comprehensive PD library of the standard C functions, and some glue code I
wrote to interface to the motorola ffp routines.

I also have a version of amiga.lib which I generated myself from AmigaBASIC
.fd files which came with my 1.3 enhancer kit.  I believe the cloned
library should be freely redistributable, but I've included the source for
the .fd parser and some hand coded glue routines that were missing from the
.fd definitions just in case.

The result is a fully working C compiler environment for the Amiga - if I
can ever get ahold of Bob!

--
---
"Gremlins must have done it!" Tom implied.

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (06/28/89)

In article <2482@van-bc.UUCP> jlydiatt@jlami.wimsey.bc.ca (Jeff Lydiatt) writes:

>        The address "page%swap.Sun.COM" is rejected by the mail daemon at a
>nearby site.  Can anybody tell me Bob's address?

"page@swap.sun.com" or "page%swap@sun.com" - "page%swap.sun.com" is
not a legal address format.  Of course, the easiest way is simply to
post it to comp.sources.amiga -- he'll get it.

Deven
--
shadow@[128.113.10.2]   <shadow@pawl.rpi.edu> Deven T. Corzine (518) 272-5847
shadow@[128.113.10.201] <shadow@acm.rpi.edu>  2346 15th St.    Pi-Rho America

page%swap@Sun.COM (Bob Page) (06/28/89)

jlydiatt@jlami.wimsey.bc.ca (Jeff Lydiatt) wrote:
>The result is a fully working C compiler environment for the Amiga - if I
>can ever get ahold of Bob!

Great!  However, folks who don't have anything now must still get the
include files from CATS.  Not a big expense but still necessary.

You can reach me at page@sun.com or page@eng.sun.com, or a host of other
addresses.  Heck, I'm still at page@ulowell.edu if you really want to send
the mail there (but I don't recommend it).  If you prefer to make the files
available for me to FTP, let me know and I'll grab them.

..bob

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) (06/29/89)

In article <SHADOW.89Jun27171150@pawl.rpi.edu> shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) writes:
>  Of course, the easiest way is simply to
>post it to comp.sources.amiga -- he'll get it.

This is actually error prone, since there's lots of different kinds
of news software out there other than the Unix News B, and even *that*
comes in many release flavors with different bugs.

Some possible problems: his news software might not be aware that it
should forward to moderators, or it might not know the correct
moderator address, or it might try more or less the right thing
but screw up the exact phrasing of the moderator's address, or
it might just throw it away.

Possibly the worst possible case is if it *seems* to go off somewhere,
but never actually reaches Bob. This includes some scenarios where it
is sort of posted to the group illegally, and some receivers trash it
as illegally posted and others allow it.

Such problems are hopefully rarer now than they were in the past,
but wasn't he on Bitnet? Who knows how it works thru such torturous
paths.

Posting to moderated groups and depending that your software will
do the right thing is reasonable *only* if you've done some local
research to determine whether that has a chance of working correctly.
	Doug
--
Doug Merritt		{pyramid,apple}!xdos!doug
Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow		Professional Wildeyed Visionary