[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Amiga soft links

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (07/04/89)

In article <7205@cbmvax.UUCP> jesup@cbmvax.UUCP (Randell Jesup) writes:
>	Currently, Amiga softlinks will work like Unix softlinks.  Most
>probable implementation is as a file with the "softlink" protection bit set,
>and the file containing the string for the link, unless I can figure a way
>to worm it into the header (for short strings).

	I hope you'll include an AmigaDOS program to do this automatically
so the particular implementation is transparent.  That is, the user
wouldn't have to edit a file, insert the string, exit the editor, and
set the softlink bit.  Instead, typing:

		slink fromFile toFile

would create "toFile" containing the string "fromFile" and with its
bit set.
	But of course you've already thought of this.... :-)
--
# Dan Barrett	barrett@cs.jhu.edu	(128.220.13.4)	ARPANET             #
#		ins_adjb@jhuvms.bitnet			BITNET              #