[comp.sys.amiga.tech] 8520

sjm@well.UUCP (Stephen Moehle) (07/03/89)

I am using the 8520 chips to do some timing, and I am having one major problem.
Nowhere can I find out what the period of time is that I am counting.  I am
using the "count 02 pulses" mode, whatever that means.  That is the phrase
used in the 1.1 Hardware Reference Manual.  Could some one please tell me how
many microseconds one of these timer ticks is?  Thanks.

Stephe
{ucbvax,pacbell,hplabs}!well!sjm     or     sjm@well.sf.ca.usa
"You heard the weirdo man.  What is truth?"

rsbx@cbmvax.UUCP (Raymond S. Brand) (07/06/89)

> I am using the 8520 chips to do some timing, and I am having one major problem.
> Nowhere can I find out what the period of time is that I am counting.  I am
> using the "count 02 pulses" mode, whatever that means.  That is the phrase
> used in the 1.1 Hardware Reference Manual.  Could some one please tell me how
> many microseconds one of these timer ticks is?  Thanks.

Currently (1.4 will provide a way for you to find the EClock (02 pulse)
frequency) the timers run at 715909 Hz if you have an NTSC machine and at
709397 Hz if you have a PAL machine.

Raymond S. Brand	rsbx@cbmvax.uucp

lee@sed170.HAC.COM (John Lee ) (07/08/89)

In article <12524@well.UUCP> sjm@well.UUCP (Stephen Moehle) writes:
>I am using the 8520 chips to do some timing, and I am having one major problem.
>Nowhere can I find out what the period of time is that I am counting.  I am
>using the "count 02 pulses" mode, whatever that means.  That is the phrase
>used in the 1.1 Hardware Reference Manual.  Could some one please tell me how
>many microseconds one of these timer ticks is?  Thanks.
>
>Stephe
>{ucbvax,pacbell,hplabs}!well!sjm     or     sjm@well.sf.ca.usa
>"You heard the weirdo man.  What is truth?"

Sure.  The phase-2 clock is roughly 718 KHz, so each of the 8520 "ticks"
or phase-2 pulse has a period of 1 / 718 KHz or 1.39 microseconds.

--John
Raining CATS and DOGS?  Join the RATS: Remote Amiga Teleconferencing System
	+--------+			John Lee
	| HUGHES |
	+--------+			ARPAnet: jhlee@hac2arpa.hac.com
	Hughes Aircraft Company
The above opinions are those of the user and not of those of this machine.