[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Genlocks

lawley@cs.mu.OZ.AU (Michael J. &) (07/13/89)

A friend of mine is involved in a project in which he would like to be
able to use a genlock type device to scale the incoming video image
and adjust it's position on the screen electronically. The idea is to
hook some electronics up to, say, the serial port of the Amiga then
run a process which opens a window, collects window sizing and
movement messages and controls the genlock to place the incoming video
signal in the window. (Handling window overlapping may be a problem
here, but that is another issue...)

Does anyone know of a genlock (or a combination of video hardware)
which would make this possible ?

thanks, mike.

In article <LAWLEY.89Jul13155400@satori.cs.mu.OZ.AU> lawley@cs.mu.OZ.AU writes:
>A friend of mine is involved in a project in which he would like to be
>able to use a genlock type device to scale the incoming video image
>and adjust it's position on the screen electronically.

Unfortunately, what you describe is *not* a Genlock. A Genlock is fairly
simple in concept, it is a device that locks the video synchronization
of the Amiga to that of an external video source. The advantage is that
now with the video from two sources synchronized, it is possible to place
objects in one video signal _relative_ to things in the other video signal.
The other aspect of most amiga Genlocks is a simple gate that selects one
video source or the other depending on what is displayed on the screen.
It is this switching that gives the illusion of transparency.

Now the technology to do what you want is fairly well known and is available
today in the form of "Picture in a Picture" boxes. These adapters usually
connect the tuner video output of your TV and the tuner output of your VCR
and let you place a smaller picture from one tuner "in" the larger picture
of your television. This is made possible by some nifty digital sampling
chips developed by NEC and Toshiba that sample the incoming picture into
a frame buffer and then redisplay that frame buffer after applying a
scaling algorithim to it. This is what the "Toaster" from NewTek does,
or will do when it is available.

>Does anyone know of a genlock (or a combination of video hardware)
>which would make this possible ?

The Toaster comes closest, when it will be available is anyone's guess.

--Chuck McManis
"A most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"