[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Joystick Port Question

uggbrand@cs.Buffalo.EDU (G. Brandon Brooks) (07/17/89)

	I am trying to design a program that would allow the Atari ST
mouse to work with my Amiga. My friend has an extra Atari mouse and my Amiga
mouse is dead, so it would be a lot cheaper to use his extra ST mouse.
	I tried intercepting the signals from the gameport device using
GPCTRelJoystick and GPCTMouse, but those don't seem to give all the values
that I need. What I really want to be able to do is to read in the values
of all 9 pins (or whatever ones the Amiga can read). Is there a way to do
this that anyone can help me with?

			-Thanks, Brandon!

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (07/19/89)

From article <7991@cs.Buffalo.EDU>, by uggbrand@cs.Buffalo.EDU (G. Brandon Brooks):
> 	I am trying to design a program that would allow the Atari ST
> mouse to work with my Amiga. My friend has an extra Atari mouse and my Amiga
> mouse is dead, so it would be a lot cheaper to use his extra ST mouse.
> 	I tried intercepting the signals from the gameport device using
> GPCTRelJoystick and GPCTMouse, but those don't seem to give all the values
> that I need. What I really want to be able to do is to read in the values
> of all 9 pins (or whatever ones the Amiga can read). Is there a way to do
> this that anyone can help me with?

Personally I'd recommend doing it in hardware, but then I'm a tech, not
a programmer. Here's the pinouts of the Amiga and ST mice.

Referring to my trackball -> mouse hack George Robbins (cbmvax!grr) says:

The original article in comp.sys.amiga describes how to convert WICO
and Atari 2600 track balls to work with the Amiga.  Converting for the
Atari ST is essentially the same, except for some disagreement between
Atari and CBM on which quadrature signals go to which "joystick" lines.

Pin	Amiga			Atari
===	=====			=====
1	Vertical		X-B
2	Horizontal		X-A
3	Vertical-Quatrature	Y-A
4	Horizontal-Quadrature	Y-B
5	Pot X			N.C.
6	Left Button		Left Button
7	+5V			+5V
8	Ground			Ground
9	Pot Y-Right Button	Right Button

As you can see, the pin-outs are compatible enough that no harm will result
if the two are interchanged, however since the quadrature outputs don't
match up you will get pointless twitching instead of useful motion.  Simply
switch the wires going to pins 1 thru 4 until you get it right.

Also, if you're interested, I've got a collection of 4 or 5 trackball to
mouse hacks. One for the Wico trackball, and the rest for the Atari 2600
trackball. It's been a while since I've posted it here, but I just
posted to comp.sys.atari.st since someone over there was asking about
the subject.

Maybe I should send it to Bob Page so it will get archived?
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (07/21/89)

On 19 Jul 89 13:38:04 GMT,
blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) said:

blgardne> Also, if you're interested, I've got a collection of 4 or 5
blgardne> trackball to mouse hacks. One for the Wico trackball, and
blgardne> the rest for the Atari 2600 trackball. It's been a while
blgardne> since I've posted it here, but I just posted to
blgardne> comp.sys.atari.st since someone over there was asking about
blgardne> the subject.

blgardne> Maybe I should send it to Bob Page so it will get archived?

Yes!

Deven
--
Deven T. Corzine        Internet:  deven@rpi.edu, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
Snail:  2214 12th Street, Troy, NY 12180       Phone:  (518) 271-0750

cknight@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (King Claudius) (07/21/89)

In article <SHADOW.89Jul20183152@pawl.rpi.edu> shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) writes:
>blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) said:
>
>blgardne> Also, if you're interested, I've got a collection of 4 or 5
>blgardne> trackball to mouse hacks. One for the Wico trackball, and
>
>Yes!
>
>Deven

yes.
--

In article <7991@cs.Buffalo.EDU> uggbrand@cs.Buffalo.EDU (G. Brandon Brooks) writes:

> 	I am trying to design a program that would allow the Atari ST
> mouse to work with my Amiga. My friend has an extra Atari mouse and my Amiga
> mouse is dead, so it would be a lot cheaper to use his extra ST mouse.
> 	I tried intercepting the signals from the gameport device using
> GPCTRelJoystick and GPCTMouse, but those don't seem to give all the values
> that I need. What I really want to be able to do is to read in the values
> of all 9 pins (or whatever ones the Amiga can read). Is there a way to do
> this that anyone can help me with?

Just make a little adapter that swaps the four quadrature lines around
and it'll work good.  Nothing more complicated is needed.  I don't
remember the exact pinout difference, but they're in the manuals shipped
with each system.

I don't know that you can do it in software, since Denise processes a
the mouse signals in hardware and if you have X and Y crossed you aren't
going to get anything meaningful.

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (07/28/89)

From article <1388@esunix.UUCP>, by blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner):
> Also, if you're interested, I've got a collection of 4 or 5 trackball to
> mouse hacks. One for the Wico trackball, and the rest for the Atari 2600
> trackball. It's been a while since I've posted it here, but I just
> posted to comp.sys.atari.st since someone over there was asking about
> the subject.
>
> Maybe I should send it to Bob Page so it will get archived?

There were several requests that I do this, so I've updated my
collection of hacks to include the newest and simplest Atari hack, and
I've sent it off to Bob.

There is one hack for the Wico, and four hacks for the Atari.

If you can't wait for it to show up in the moderated groups, e-mail me,
and I can send you a copy.