[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Safe storage of task context

intern@lilink.UUCP (Steve Faiwisewski) (07/27/89)

According to the RKM, upon a context switch all the CPU's registers
get saved on the task's (user) stack.  Unfortunately, the RKM does not
specify the order of the saved registers.  Using MetaScope to look at
a process' stack, I found that it conflicted with MetaScope's
Registers display for that process.  So what gives?  I must be missing
something.

Any info would be appreciated.
		Thanks,
			- Steve -
Steve Faiwiszewski					intern@lilink.UUCP
							intern@dasys1.UUCP

451061@UOTTAWA.BITNET (Valentin Pepelea) (07/27/89)

Steve Faiwisewski <intern@lilink.uucp> writes in Message-ID: <791@lilink.UUCP>

> According to the RKM, upon a context switch all the CPU's registers
> get saved on the task's (user) stack.  Unfortunately, the RKM does not
> specify the order of the saved registers.  Using MetaScope to look at
> a process' stack, I found that it conflicted with MetaScope's
> Registers display for that process.  So what gives?  I must be missing
> something.

To be sure, you should check Markus Wandel's disassembly of the Exec, but I
would assume that the registers get stored onto the stack with the

      movem.l  A0-A7/D0-D7,-(sp)

instruction. To be specific, look at the movem definition in the 680x0 User's
Manual to find out the order in which the registers are stored.

Valentin
"An  operating  system  without         Name:   Valentin Pepelea
 virtual memory is an operating         Phonet: (613) 231-7476 (New!)
 system without virtue."                Bitnet: 451061@Uottawa.bitnet
                                        Usenet: Use cunyvm.cuny.edu gate
         - Ancient Inca Proverb         Planet: 451061@acadvm1.UOttawa.CA

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (07/27/89)

In article <8907270423.AA11556@jade.berkeley.edu> 451061@UOTTAWA.BITNET (Valentin Pepelea) writes:

>To be sure, you should check Markus Wandel's disassembly of the Exec, but I
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Where can the above mentioned disassembly be found????

Inquiring minds want to know!

--
"What is another word  |  Dave Lowrey    | [The opinions expressed MAY be
 for 'Thesaurus'?"     |  Amdahl Corp.   | those of the author and are not
                       |  Houston, Texas | necessarily those of his
   Steven Wright       |  amdahl!dwl10   | employer]   (`nuff said!)

451061@UOTTAWA.BITNET (Valentin Pepelea) (07/29/89)

Dave Lowrey <dwl10@uts.amdahl.com> in <34uw02I.43lP01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>

> Where can the above mentioned disassembly be found????
>
> Inquiring minds want to know!

Inquiring minds look on the fish disks!  :-)

Anyway, Markus Wandel can be contacted at dtsteen@dahlia.waterloo.edu until
September. After that he will probably be back to the silicon valley of the
north, Ottawa.