[comp.sys.amiga.tech] A2090A autoboot

stan@teroach.phx.mcd.mot.com (Stan Fisher) (07/26/89)

I have the 2090A timeout problem on boot up, my Micropolis 158meg SCSI
drive isn't quite done initializing when the 2090A times out and want to
boot something.  I know if I could find the right location(s) in the firmware
on the 2090A, I could patch them on the Data I/O and burn a new Eprom.

Has anybody out there figured this one out yet?   Is there someone at CBM
that could give me this information (if it's not too proprietary).  Just
need to know the offset into the ROM where the byte(s) exist that could be
changed (and to what would be nice) in order to lengthen the timeout duration
so my SCSI drive can get done with its business and be ready to boot when
the 2090A tries.  I really need the system to be able to boot from power-up
without doing a manual softboot or having a floppy in df0:.

  Stan Fisher - stan@teroach.phx.mcd.mot.com - asuvax!mcdphx!teroach!stan
  Motorola Microcomputer Division, Tempe, Arizona -        (602) 438-3228

) (07/27/89)

In article <11327@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com>, stan@teroach.phx.mcd.mot.com (Stan Fisher) writes...

>I have the 2090A timeout problem on boot up, my Micropolis 158meg SCSI
>drive isn't quite done initializing when the 2090A times out and want to
>boot something.  I know if I could find the right location(s) in the firmware
>on the 2090A, I could patch them on the Data I/O and burn a new Eprom.

I think CBM is shipping 2090A's with a new ROM which waits longer for the
drive to initialize. I am waiting for one in the mail at this moment. The
older ROM is #390230 (3145) and the new is (2FEF). This is one of the ROMS
with the paper sticker on it and the number i showed in brackets is the
last number at the bottom of the sticker (Checksum maybe). The numbers are off
the top of my head and should be close enough for you to know.

Mark Kaye		|		|				|
Box 172, Munster Hamlet	| 613-838-3580  | kaye@fscore.dec.com		|
Ontario, Canada K0A 3P0	|		| DEC fscore::kaye or kaye @kao	|

carpent@coltrane.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd Carpenter) (07/27/89)

In article <11327@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> stan@teroach.phx.mcd.mot.com (Stan Fisher) writes:

!  I have the 2090A timeout problem on boot up, my Micropolis 158meg SCSI drive
!  isn't quite done initializing when the 2090A times out and want to boot
!  something.  I know if I could find the right location(s) in the firmware on
!  the 2090A, I could patch them on the Data I/O and burn a new Eprom.

  Here, here!  No offense, but I wasn't impressed with the programmer who
  limited the A2090a so much...

  Another thing that would be nice is for it to poll successive devices until
  it *does* find something to boot from - I detest having to boot from my ST506
  when I have a fast SCSI available, and only use the ST506 for archival
  purposes.  However, I bet this is a *bit* more complicated than changing a
  couple delay values.  Ah well, I can dream on about a new release of ROMs
  that fix these ailments...

  (however, aside from a retarded programmer (or whoever wrote the specs), I am
  very pleased.  I *can* plug in my ST506 drives, plus the SCSI, I have
  incredible performance (once it finally gets up), and I have the option of
  unix, once it is released.)

-Todd C.

stan@teroach.UUCP (Stan Fisher) (07/29/89)

In article <3801@shlump.nac.dec.com> kaye@FSCORE.dec.com (Mark Kaye) writes:
>In article <11327@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com>,  (I) wrote..
>>I have the 2090A timeout problem on boot up, my Micropolis 158meg SCSI
>>drive isn't quite done initializing when the 2090A times out and want to
>>boot something.  I know if I could find the right location(s) in the firmware
>>on the 2090A, I could patch them on the Data I/O and burn a new Eprom.

>I think CBM is shipping 2090A's with a new ROM which waits longer for the
>drive to initialize. I am waiting for one in the mail at this moment. The
>older ROM is #390230 (3145) and the new is (2FEF).

Thanks for the reply (I really do appreciate it) but....
  I called Commodore Customer Support (the one @ 215-436-4200) and asked
if such a ROM upgrade existed or if the current boards are shipping with
a newer rev ROM.  After I had to argue with the 'Customer support' person
to get her to try to help me (more on this in a moment) I was told it didn't
exist and no plan as of yet to provide an update/fix for the problem.
  When asked when the A2091 would be released, she had no idea, but said
"we do have some new products coming out, but no one knows when".
O.k. so I'm back where I started from, no big deal, I didn't expect it to
be that easy... BUT... this part really pisses me off (back to the argument
with Customer support).  I don't call CBM Customer Support very often,
generally I know more about my Amiga than most of the people I've talked to
at that (previously noted) phone number.  When I DO need a question answered
and I DO call CBM,  I don't appreciate the NEW attitude that's being
presented when you call.  It used to be if the person on the phone didn't
know, they would gladly look in to it for me and either give me an answer
during that call OR actually call me back later.  What happened COMMODORE??
When you call now, the almost scripted response to ANYTHING you ask is....

CBM- "What area are you calling from"
me-  "uh.. Phoenix...  why?"
CBM- "that would be Computer Discount, your dealer, you'll need to call them"
me-  "Isn't this 'CUSTOMER' SUPPORT?"
CBM- "yes"
me-  "If I call Computer Discount they'll say they haven't any idea."
CBM- "If you call Computer Discount they can call their 800 number for an
      answer, and get back to you."
me-  "What happened to Customer Support supporting CUSTOMERS? I've delt
      with Computer Discount and if they don't know the answer (which is
      most of the time) they definately won't take the time to check on it!"
CBM-  -silence-  (at this time I'm not sure if I've been hung up on or put
      on hold)......  later, she does come back on the line... "I've checked
      and it doesn't exist, and there's no plan to provide it".

I didn't invest over $5000 in an Amiga (just hardware) not to have the darn
thing not perform autoboot with a specifically upgraded controller (2090 to
2090A) and then to have Customer Support offer me NO Support and tell me
I'm screwed! (to put it in my own words).  I just know the CBM answer is
going to be "Gee buy our new wiz bang 2091, It'll fix all your problems,
and it'll only cost you $200 more than you can sell that 2090A for that you
bought for $120 more than you could sell that 2090 for that you bought with you
system."  Gee thanks!  I think about now CBM owes me a 2091 for free!!!

  Stan Fisher - stan@teroach.phx.mcd.mot.com - asuvax!mcdphx!teroach!stan
  Motorola Microcomputer Division, Tempe, Arizona -        (602) 438-3228

) (07/29/89)

>Thanks for the reply (I really do appreciate it) but....
>  I called Commodore Customer Support (the one @ 215-436-4200) and asked
>if such a ROM upgrade existed or if the current boards are shipping with
>a newer rev ROM.  After I had to argue with the 'Customer support' person
>to get her to try to help me (more on this in a moment) I was told it didn't
>exist and no plan as of yet to provide an update/fix for the problem.

Well, all i can do is shake my head in bewilderment. I got the new ROM
from Commodore (Canada) today. It didn't fix my problem of Quarterback
telling me i have a bad floppy (when i don't), and i can't tell if it
has fixed the problem of not booting occasionaly. I just installed it
at lunch today - time will tell. The folks in Customer Support
@Commodore Canada have been extremely helpful.