[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Amiga transputer interface board

F2.MJP@ISUMVS.IASTATE.EDU ("Mike Purtell") (07/31/89)

>From: bear@bucsb.UUCP (Blair M. Burtan)
>>Come to think of it, whatever happened to the talk of a Transputer board
>>for the Amiga??  There comes a time when things have to be brought out
>>regardless of price in order to give people the "warm fuzzy" that this
>>system is going somewhere.  What's the status of the Transputer and how
>>does marketing viewing it??
>>
>If you really want to get your hand dirty, Microway makes a
>T800 and a T414 board for the PC.  If you've got a bridgecard,
>go for it.  Maybe that'll spark some interest.
>
>                                  - Bear

I think a better approach is for someone to make a Zorro II board that would
provide a DMA transputer link interface to the Amiga and a device driver.
This way you don't need to buy the bridgecard, you have an extra pc slot for
four more T800's because you didn't buy the bridgecard, and communication
would be faster with a direct link.
Then you just use the transputer boards that are already available for the PC
like the Microway ones to do your supercomputing.  I think these boards
would only need power from the PC bus because the link connections are made
with wires between the boards.
I plan on building an Amiga/transputer link board myself for an independent
project class, but not for a year or so.  If anyone's interested,
I'm willing to share my ideas on how it could be down.
Mike Purtell                        Bitnet:  f2.mjp@ISUMVS
PO BOX 1519                         Internet:  f2.mjp@MVS1.IASTATE.EDU
Ames, Iowa 50010-1519               Institution:  Iowa State University
USA                                 Birthplace of the first digital computer