[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Is Lattice CodeProbe usable?

msm@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Mark Millard) (07/22/89)

I'm having problems with the Lattice C debugger, CodePRobe, and was
wondering if anybody else has seen these symptoms.  The tool will
GURU while simply stepping through a program (via <cr>) or a mouse
click (when accessing the menus).  It usually happens after successfully
stepping through the program once, and using the "restart" command to
re-execute the process.  I see this every time I try to use it (last night
it happened 15 times within an hour).

I am using Lattice 5.02 and I compiled my program with

     lc -d3 -L main.c

where main.c simply echos any command-line arguments with "printf"
statements.  It compiles and runs perfectly.  Perhaps the debugger
doesn't work with code which is bug free ? ;-)

I am using AmigaDOS 1.3, have two floppy drives, and Commodore's
RAM expansion card, the A2058. No hard drives or bridgecards.
I boot off the Lattice C floppies and invoke CPR from the PopCLI
Shell provided with Lattice.

Although I am not new to C, I am new to Lattice C and CodeProbe,
so I am not aware of any workarounds yet.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark Millard
E-mail: hplabs!hpdtc!msm
Phone: (408)-866-0531

451061@UOTTAWA.BITNET (Valentin Pepelea) (07/23/89)

msm@hpcilzb.hp.com writes in message <780004@hpcilzb.HP.COM>

> I'm having problems with the Lattice C debugger, CodePRobe, and was
> wondering if anybody else has seen these symptoms.  The tool will
> GURU while simply stepping through a program (via <cr>) or a mouse

Set your stack to at least 20000. 50000 is what I set it to, but I would
use a 200000 stack if I could afford it.

Even with a stack large enough, you will encounter hanging problems if you
are using a 68020. CodeProbe will appear to be hanging, and execute extremely
slowly at times, but eventually return at full speed. Very wierd.

Valentin
"An  operating  system  without         Name:   Valentin Pepelea
 virtual memory is an operating         Phonet: (613) 231-7476 (New!)
 system without virtue."                Bitnet: 451061@Uottawa.bitnet
                                        Usenet: Use cunyvm.cuny.edu gate
         - Ancient Inca Proverb         Planet: 451061@acadvm1.UOttawa.CA

walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) (07/31/89)

In article <780004@hpcilzb.HP.COM> msm@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Mark Millard) writes:

>I'm having problems with the Lattice C debugger, CodePRobe, and was
>wondering if anybody else has seen these symptoms.  The tool will
>GURU while simply stepping through a program (via <cr>) or a mouse
>click (when accessing the menus).  It usually happens after successfully
>stepping through the program once, and using the "restart" command to
>re-execute the process.  I see this every time I try to use it (last night
>it happened 15 times within an hour).

There is a known bug in CPR that causes it to divide its stack by four; try
bumping your stack size (via the CLI STACK command) to 60000 or so.

And, er, if it crashes when you use the 'restart' command, one workaround
might be to ... not use it?  You can always exit CPR and invoke it again.

--Doug