[comp.sys.amiga.tech] need good digitized sound compression scheme

rogers@iris.ucdavis.edu (Brewski Rogers) (08/09/89)

	Hi, right now i'm working on a scheme to compress digitized
sounds without too much loss of clarity. I was thinking about using
a slightly modified version of fibbonaci delta encoding and compressing
series of bytes all equal to zero. Before I write it, can anyone
recommend a better way to do this? My partner and I are writing a
video game that uses lots of digitized samples, and the more we can
squeeze on the disk, the better.

	-thanks in advance
		-Bruce

------------------------------------------------------          Quantum _\/_
545 Sycamore CellBlock 207 Bruce (6502 RULES!) Rogers        |\  Duck  ( 0 0)
Davis, Ca 95616            Quantum Duck Software,           |\ \______/ / \\\
916-757-2925               rogers@iris.ucdavis.edu         |\ <  <     |   \/
"Cool as a body on ice, hotter than the rolling dice."       \________/  Quark!

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (08/13/89)

In article <5085@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, rogers@iris.ucdavis.edu (Brewski Rogers) writes:
> 	Hi, right now i'm working on a scheme to compress digitized
> sounds without too much loss of clarity. I was thinking about using
> a slightly modified version of fibbonaci delta encoding and compressing
> series of bytes all equal to zero. Before I write it, can anyone
> recommend a better way to do this? My partner and I are writing a
> video game that uses lots of digitized samples, and the more we can
> squeeze on the disk, the better.

Apple claims to be working on a compression schemes that go up to 6X.
If anyone knows how to achieve that kind of compression, please email
or followup.

Fibonacci delta (at least as done in IFF 8SVX compressed sample files)
achieves 2X, while adding distortion.  (The NewTek demo reel 1 used it
throughout yet it was listenable.)

I get rid of strings of zeros by editing them out with Audiomaster.  If
two sounds need to be played with some silence in-between, play two sounds
with a timer wait in the middle.
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl	"Have you debugged your wolf today?"
-- free Usenet access: (713) 438-5018