[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Replacing the A500 power supply

Bull@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Gareth Bull) (08/11/89)

        Considering the minimal output from the A500 power supply, and the
need to use an additional power supply/s for extra hardware ( re. Hard disk
+ extra memory ), has anyone tried to use an XT power supply, so that all
the hardware uses the one unit. If this is a bad idea, why ?

--
        Bull@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au  OR  com259h@monu1.cc.monash.oz
                          Alias: Gareth Bull

ddave@pnet02.gryphon.com (David Donley) (08/14/89)

Bull@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Gareth Bull) writes:

>        Considering the minimal output from the A500 power supply, and the
>need to use an additional power supply/s for extra hardware ( re. Hard disk
>+ extra memory ), has anyone tried to use an XT power supply, so that all
>the hardware uses the one unit. If this is a bad idea, why ?
>
>--
>        Bull@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au  OR  com259h@monu1.cc.monash.oz
>                          Alias: Gareth Bull
>     Monash University Computer Centre, Clayton, Victoria, Australia.
>( Where hens teeth are more common than A500 third party power supplies )

I've done that.  It works fine.  My 500 power supply bit the dust, and the
my S*pra controller refused to work with a Phoenix box (Which I am still
trying to return to Creative Computers) so I hooked up a 140 watt XT supply,
and I also spliced my hard disk into it (Don't need as big of a fan now)

One question: Why does the 500 supply have a signal ground and a power ground
(Or something like that) I just connected them both to ground, and it works
fine?

---
.signature: Incorrect DOS Version