[comp.sys.amiga.tech] 2000 keyboard in a 500

dlarson@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dale Larson) (08/13/89)

/*  I thought that all the line eaters were dead.  */

For reasons to numerous to numerate, I am putting junk into a 500 that
necessitates removal of the keyboard, but have a 2000 keyboard that I
want to connect.  I have a socket to the 500 keyboard connector on the
motherboard, and a 5-pin din for the 2000 keyboard to fit into and the
wire to run between.  Figuring out where chasis ground belongs is
simple, but which of the of the 8 lines on the 500 motherboard belong
connected to which of the  5 pins in the din is not easy!!!  After a
couple of failed tries, I gave up before I found the combination to
fry my machine.

Could someone PLEASE tell me what each pin on the 500 motherboard keyboard
connector is?  Could someone (possibly the same someone mentioned
above) tell me which of these need to be connected to which pins on
the female din connector???

I will be eternally greatful to any response, especially any quick and
accurate ones!!!

I almost sent Dave mail on this one, but figured that such a practice
wouldn't be fair.  If Dave reads this, he might want to comment on
what he would have thought had I mailed this to him.
--
 dTb                                                                       dTb
      I know enough about epistemology to know that I don't know anything

In article <3210@blake.acs.washington.edu> dlarson@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dale Larson) writes:
> /*  I thought that all the line eaters were dead.  */
>
> For reasons to numerous to numerate, I am putting junk into a 500 that
> necessitates removal of the keyboard, but have a 2000 keyboard that I
> want to connect...
>
> Could someone PLEASE tell me what each pin on the 500 motherboard keyboard
> connector is?  Could someone (possibly the same someone mentioned
> above) tell me which of these need to be connected to which pins on
> the female din connector???

Come on, we did put this infomation in the A500 user's manual just so I
wouldn't have to be looking it up.  It goes clock/data/reset/+5/key/ground/
power/floppy...  Pin numbering in the DIN connecter is questionable, but
that goes spare/data/clock/power/ground.

If you get data and clock wrong, you'll get a stream of quote characters.
If you get power and ground wrong, you'll get a stream of acrid smoke.

Note that the 3-finger reset won't work between the A2000 keyboard and
the A500, since the A500 assumes a direct reset signal from the keyboard,
while the A2000 does some clever manipulation of the clock/data lines...

dlarson@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dale Larson) (08/14/89)

In article <7648@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>Come on, we did put this infomation in the A500 user's manual just so I
>wouldn't have to be looking it up.

My most sincere appologies - I looked very carefully at the 2000 manual for
info on how the keyboard is hooked up, but found none.  I should not have
assumed that the 500 manual had no such information.

Thank you very much for the reply, especially in the face of my failing
to adequately RTFMs.

>It goes clock/data/reset/+5/key/ground/
>power/floppy...  Pin numbering in the DIN connecter is questionable, but
>that goes spare/data/clock/power/ground.
>
>If you get data and clock wrong, you'll get a stream of quote characters.
>If you get power and ground wrong, you'll get a stream of acrid smoke.

Well, I didn't get any acrid smoke, but I also didn't get to type with the
2000 keyboard.  After several days of using a 500 without it's cover and
intermintently firing up the soldering iron, I think I've given up on the
whole deal.

For anyone else who might be trying, here is what I have found DOESN'T work:

500 keyboard connector (viewed from front of machine)
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8
----------------------
3  1     4     5          /* What I THINK Mr. Robbins said */
3  1     4  5             /* A goof based on what I thought Mr. Robbins said */
1  2  3  4  5             /* a bad guess */
Female 5-pin din connector (as numbered on RatShack cat no 274-005b)

Besides the fact that my class work (programming) is suffering way too
much from these lame attempts at hardware hacking, I guess that if
I want an external keyboard and/or room to put junk inside the machine
then I should buy a 2500 in order to help pay for Messrs. Haynie
and Robbins, et al to work on the neat new machines :-)

The main problem is that 1000+500 (my two Amigas) only = 1500.