[comp.sys.amiga.tech] The latest version of C-kermit won't compile on the Amiga

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (08/22/89)

[[ I found this in comp.protocols.kermit.  /Joe ]]

Subject: Info-Kermit Digest V10 #2
Date: 21 Aug 89 21:22:25 GMT

Info-Kermit Digest         Mon, 21 Aug 1989        Volume 10 : Number 2

Today's Topics:
                C-Kermit 4F(094) Available for Testing
		     [[ several other topics ]]
                    Errors Compiling Amiga Kermit

Send digest submissions to Info-Kermit@CUNIXC.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU, requests for
addition to or deletion from the Info-Kermit subscriber list to
Info-Kermit-Request@CUNIXC.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU or to KERMIT@CUVMA.BITNET.

Kermit files may be obtained over networks and by mail order.  On the
Internetwork, use FTP to log in to host WATSUN, WATSUN.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU, a
SUN-4/280 running UNIX (SUNOS 4.0), IP host number 128.59,39.2, or to CUNIXC,
CUNIXC.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU, a VAX 8700 running UNIX (Ultrix), IP host number
128.59.40.130.  Login as user anonymous (note, lower case), any password, and
GET or MGET the desired files.  The Kermit files are in directories kermit/a,
kermit/b, kermit/c, kermit/d, and kermit/e.  You can also get Kermit files
over BITNET/EARN; to get started send a message with text HELP to KERMSRV, the
Kermit file server, at host CUVMA.  For detailed instructions, read the file
kermit/a/aanetw.hlp (AANETW.HLP on KERMSRV).  To order by mail, request a
complete list of Kermit versions and an order form from Kermit Distribution,
Columbia University Center for Computing Activities, 612 West 115th Street,
New York, NY 10025 USA.

Date: Mon Aug 21 12:33:41 1989 EDT
>From: Frank da Cruz <fdc@watsun.cc.columbia.edu>
Subject: C-Kermit 4F(094) Available for Testing

The forthcoming new release of C-Kermit 4F is coming closer.  Many of the
problems reported by the beta testers have been solved, but a few more must
be fixed before final release.  Since 4F(085) was announced for testing in
Info-Kermit V10 #1 on July 14th, many changes have been made:

 - attempt to allow the program to compile correctly on Apollo SR10 BSD
 - attempt to fix the crazy echoing upon reconnecting after file transfer
   in AT&T-based Unix systems
 - fix the OS/2-specific code so that it compiles correctly
 - added new support for Masscomp/Concurrent RTU
 - added support for AT&T 6300
 - fix TRANSMIT command to be interruptible by Ctrl-C
 - various minor bug fixes, cosmetic improvements, and code reorganization
 - fix IBM/Rolm CBX dialing
 - fix support for NeXT in the makefile
 - improved support for Hayes modem responses
 - new Microcom modem support
 - updated support for OS-9/68K
 - fixed dynamic packet size recalculation to only shorten packets upon real
   errors
 - fixed file size and throughput reports in STATISTICS command
 - attempt to eliminate many compile-time point-type mismatches caused by
   calls to signal()

Some outstanding problems:

 - Support code for other non-Unix systems such as Commodore Amiga and Data
   General AOS/VS has not been updated in a very long time, and can not be
   compiled with the current version of C-Kermit.

C-Kermit users are urged to get the latest pre-release and try it out on
their systems and report any problems to me, so that this new version can
finally be formally released, and work can begin on the next version.

The files are in kermit/test/ck*.* on watsun, and T:CK*.* on BITNET KERMSRV
at CUVMA.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 89 09:16:59 MET
>From: "Boelen, Lodewijk J.M." <RCCSBLN@HDETUD1.BITNET>
Subject: Errors Compiling Amiga Kermit

     Lectori Salutem

In December I have got both the sources and a BOO-ed version of Kermit on my
Amiga.  By curiosity I compiled the sources with the Lattice 3.10 compiler
to get acquainted with the software available on my new (second hand)
AMIGA2000.  I love that machine!

I remarked the following compiletime errors:
  1.there are many warnings 89 on the variables "pid" and "D7Save" and others;
  2. ckitio.c:
    .1 error 71: formal declaration error "m";
    .2 error 9: undefined identifier "m";
    .3 error 63: duplicate declaration of item "m";
  3. ckifio.c: error 57: semicolon expected;
  4. ckuus3.c: error 25: invalid macro usage.

The total time needed for compilation on my two-diskette machine, with an
adapted make-file, is 15 minutes.  On scanning the sources near the marked
lines I made some changes I will describe hereafter.  All the compiletime
errors were gone but the one in ckuus3.c.

To get a Kermit program I had to attack the BOO-ed version I guessed to be
in ckiker.upd.  When anyone is interested I will mail my critics and the way
I got a working Kermit program.  I could emulate a terminal, that's all.  I
called for HELP but got no responses on the sources problems.

So I waited for the newest version, announced in the meanwhile, hoping on
the errors to be corrected.  Before yesterday I compiled the newest sources
the first time.  I was sad to find the same errors as described above plus
one: the version of HEARN's ckucmd.c is cut off.  After receiving the
TUVMA-version and applying the corrections, yesterday I got in the same
situation as in January.  So now my second call for HELP!

Here are the corrections on the lines of the actual version:
  1. ckitio.c: all the errors are gone when you change line 692 from:
    "int n, m;" into: "int n;" and insert after line 695: "int m;";
  2. ckifio.c: a little above line 343 you can find: "return(...));". If you
    change this line in "return(...);" (one ")" less!) all is well.

I don't know C though it looks very nice, but also a colleague could not find
a solution on the error in ckuus3.c.

I wonder if the warnings are not harmful, but I don't know to correct them.

Can anyone help me? I would be grateful,

      Lodewijk.

[Ed. - To our knowledge, nobody has worked on the Amiga-specific portion of
C-Kermit since Steve Walton's contributions of January 1987, listed in
ckiker.upd.  If anyone out there has worked on upgrading C-Kermit's Amiga
support to the current version of C-Kermit -- or better still, the test
version 4F with file attribute packets -- please let us know!  Or if you are
willing to volunteer to take on the job, also please tell us.  Until then,
the best we can do is add Lodewijk's message to the ckiker.bwr file.]

------------------------------

End of Info-Kermit Digest

[[ Would the authors of HANDSHAKE and VT100 please consider sending their
sources to Columbia?  That way people who don't know about the Fish Disks or
comp.binaries.amiga can get a fancy terminal emulator that speaks kermit, as
opposed to a full-featured kermit program that uses only the CON: terminal
emulation.  Thanks. ]]
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms