[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Multi Par: Ports

ba@m2-net.UUCP (Bill Allen) (08/18/89)

Is it just me or have others been experiencing par: port
over-crowding?  Sounds digitizers, video digitizers,
printers, all trying to use the port at once.
Has anyone seen:
1)  A2000 internal cards that allow 2+ par ports?  (ADSG has
    the 2 serial ports brd)
2)  A2000 internal sounds/video digitizers?
3)  Ser port sounds/video digitizers (for dual ser brd above)?
4)  Sounds/video digitizers that pass the par port thru?
3)  Cheap A/B/C switches?
Does everyone agree it's a good idea to do a cold start
before/after A/B/C switching?  If so, then A/B/C switches
aren't the answer.
What is?
or call Sharewarer's BBS at 313-473-2020 24hrs, PCP thru MIDET, 100% Amiga

dca@toylnd.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) (08/22/89)

In article <3761@m2-net.UUCP>, ba@m2-net.UUCP (Bill Allen) writes:

> Is it just me or have others been experiencing par: port
> over-crowding?  Sounds digitizers, video digitizers,
> printers, all trying to use the port at once.
> Has anyone seen:
> 3)  Cheap A/B/C switches?
> Does everyone agree it's a good idea to do a cold start
> before/after A/B/C switching?  If so, then A/B/C switches
> aren't the answer.
> What is?
I use the A/B/C switch solution.  I don't know if it is recommended or not
but it seems the only way to handle the overcrowding.  I've had my 2000 for
quite a while and have yet to have any problem and usually I'm switching it
around with the machine up.  Even if I do blow the port (which I did once
before I got the switch box, swapping cables), I figure I just order an
8520 (around $20) pull the old one and swap it in.  The risk is worth the
ease of use to me.

I got my switch box at the West Coast Computer Fair.   In Computer Shopper
an outfit called National Computer Accessories has what looks to be
the same model as mine.  They list it for $15.99 (4 way).  I haven't ordered
from them so I'm not able to vouch for them, good price though.  Their number is
 (916)441-1568 (pg 257 in Sept issue).  A 2 way model is 10.49.

David Albrecht

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (08/22/89)

In article <3761@m2-net.UUCP> ba@m-net.UUCP (Bill Allen) writes:
>3)  Cheap A/B/C switches?
>Does everyone agree it's a good idea to do a cold start
>before/after A/B/C switching?  If so, then A/B/C switches
>aren't the answer.

The advice I've heard is:
  For devices that get their power from a multipin connecter, it is dangerous
  to plug/unplug the device with the power on.  You can kill the delicate
  electronics when not all the pins are making contact.  For instance: +5v
  is connected but the only path to ground is thru a data line.

  However, A/B/C switches that switch all 25 pins on the parallel port are
  OK, since power is applied and removed cleanly.

The DigiView manual says to not unplug the video digitizer with power on.
They recommend an A/B switch that switches all 25 pins to switch from
digitizer to parallel printer while running DigiView.

--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (08/25/89)

From article <3761@m2-net.UUCP:, by ba@m2-net.UUCP (Bill Allen):
: Is it just me or have others been experiencing par: port
: over-crowding?  Sounds digitizers, video digitizers,
: printers, all trying to use the port at once.
: Has anyone seen:
: 1)  A2000 internal cards that allow 2+ par ports?  (ADSG has
:     the 2 serial ports brd)

	The CMInet card for the 2000 has an extra parallel port on it.
The port isn't a full bi-directional port like the internal one in your
Amiga, but it works great for a printer. You can digitize on the internal
port and print on the CMI port at the same time...

: 3)  Cheap A/B/C switches?

	I see cheap ABC switches all the time from various Tiawan importers,
I even have three or four around the house. You should be able to find one
for about $20-25...

: Does everyone agree it's a good idea to do a cold start
: before/after A/B/C switching?  If so, then A/B/C switches
: aren't the answer.

	I've never had any troubles switching either my serial port or my
parallel port on the fly... I don't have power hooked up through them
though.

: or call Sharewarer's BBS at 313-473-2020 24hrs, PCP thru MIDET, 100% Amiga
--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent.UUCP!calvin!billsey