[comp.sys.amiga.tech] NEC 2A and 2000

promac@iisat.UUCP (Promac Systems) (08/25/89)

I am interested in hooking up a NEC 2A monitor to my 2000, a friend said that
I should have a device called a buffer box!! Is this type of device required
for all multisyncs or just for certain ones??? Also is anyone using this
monitor with their machine, if so does it handle the interlace ok??

later
Barry Comer

promac@iisat.UUCP

rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu (Richard Champeaux) (08/26/89)

In article <67@iisat.UUCP>, promac@iisat.UUCP (Promac Systems) writes:
> I am interested in hooking up a NEC 2A monitor to my 2000, a friend said that
> I should have a device called a buffer box!! Is this type of device required
> for all multisyncs or just for certain ones??? Also is anyone using this
> monitor with their machine, if so does it handle the interlace ok??
>
> later
> Barry Comer

The NEC 2A is only a Super VGA monitor, meaning it syncs at only 31.5kHz
and 35kHz.  It won't work with the RGB output of the Amiga, it needs a
flickerfixer.  I've already been through 2 of them, and I'm waiting on my
third.  Both of them had a problem with beam alignment.  The first one was
very bad; the white title bar on the windows seperated into three colors
near the right side of the screen.  The second one had a simmilar problem
but it wasn't as bad.  The bottom left part of the screen was the worst.
The blue gun missed by about an 8th of an inch, making white boxes or text
have a blue strip on the left side and a yellow strip on the right.  I
really got annoyed when I looked at other VGA monitors, like the PS/2
monitor, and they had perfectly aligned guns.

NEC doesn't have any authorized repair centers for the 2A either; they have
to be sent back to the factory to be replaced.  The stores can't open them
up without voiding the warrenty.  From what I've heard, it should be pretty
trivial to adjust the beam alignment, but NEC will only replace them.  If
my third has the same problem, I'm going to make them hand tune the damn
thing.

Rich Champeaux (rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu)