[comp.sys.amiga.tech] NEW AGNUS IDEA...

dean.gaudet@canremote.uucp (DEAN GAUDET) (08/29/89)

I don't know if this will work (that's why I'm posting it here...):

To "fix" the problem of 1MB Chip ram, 0 Fast Ram with the new Agnus
chip, wouldn't it be possible to create a new memory node type of
fake fast ram in the chip ram?  ie:  lay away 200k as fast ram by
modifying the free memory list so that it shows up as a different type
of ram.

The only problem with this is that it couldn't be a "FastMEmFirst" type
fix.  If it was run in the startup sequence, then the 200k would surely
be used up by the time you want to run a program that needs fast ram.
It would have to be run just before you execute the program that needs
fast ram.  It would also be a good idea if 200k was configurable...

Any gurus see any problems with this?

Dean
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.01R

ludde@nada.kth.se (Erik Lundevall) (08/29/89)

In article <89082820191883@masnet.uucp> dean.gaudet@canremote.uucp (DEAN GAUDET) writes:
>I don't know if this will work (that's why I'm posting it here...):
>
>To "fix" the problem of 1MB Chip ram, 0 Fast Ram with the new Agnus
>chip, wouldn't it be possible to create a new memory node type of
>fake fast ram in the chip ram?  ie:  lay away 200k as fast ram by
>modifying the free memory list so that it shows up as a different type
>of ram.

Yes, it is possible. I wrote a little hack that do just that for another
Amiga BBS Sysop here that had this problem with Atredes BBS (v1.0). You
specify the size of the fake fast ram as an argument. I sent it to Bob Page
some time ago, so it should be available in comp.binaries.amiga eventually.

--
-Erik Lundevall                                 Internet: ludde@nada.kth.se
 SnailMail: Korsbarsvagen 4B/422,S-114 23 STOCKHOLM,SWEDEN