[comp.sys.amiga.tech] MIDI interface schematic

sheffler@maxwell.CS.CMU.EDU (Thomas Sheffler) (08/28/89)

I just bought an A1000 -- so far I love it.

I need a MIDI interface and found an old schematic for one that
someone designed -- 1 IN, 2 OUTS, 1 THRU.  It consisted only of a few
hex-inverters, an opto-isolator and some resistors.  I realize that
because of the Amiga's UART not a whole lot more is required, but can
this possibly be all that needed?

Or, should I buy one somewhere?

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (08/28/89)

In article <SHEFFLER.89Aug28093849@maxwell.CS.CMU.EDU> sheffler@maxwell.CS.CMU.EDU (Thomas Sheffler) writes:

>I just bought an A1000 -- so far I love it.
>
>I need a MIDI interface and found an old schematic for one that
>someone designed -- 1 IN, 2 OUTS, 1 THRU.  It consisted only of a few
>hex-inverters, an opto-isolator and some resistors.  I realize that
>because of the Amiga's UART not a whole lot more is required, but can
>this possibly be all that needed?
>
>Or, should I buy one somewhere?

The latest Amiga Transactor (September, I believe), has MIDI
interface specs for ALL Amigas. It also has specs for building
a box that will split the signals comming into the box into 5 (or so)
signals comming out.
--
"What is another word  |  Dave Lowrey    | [The opinions expressed MAY be
 for 'Thesaurus'?"     |  Amdahl Corp.   | those of the author and are not
                       |  Houston, Texas | necessarily those of his
   Steven Wright       |  amdahl!dwl10   | employer]   (`nuff said!)

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (08/29/89)

There is a MIDI schematic in the most recent Commodore magazine (I think
that is the Magazine's title).  It has a MIDI in out and thru.  All parts
are available from Radio Shack.  Does anyone know if this design is any good?

Bill Murphy