[comp.sys.amiga.tech] RCS or SCCS on the Amiga Native?

mks@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael Sinz - CATS) (08/25/89)

Has anyone done a port to Native AmigaDOS of RCS or SCCS?

Is anyone doing such a port at this time?

What would the interest be in such a beast?
(I know I would like one and there is at least on other developer
 that wants one...)

Just needed to find out before I set out to do such a task...

/----------------------------------------------------------------------\
|      /// Michael Sinz -- CATS/Amiga Software/Support Engineer        |
|     ///  PHONE 215-431-9422  UUCP ( uunet | rutgers ) !cbmvax!mks    |
|    ///                                                               |
|\\\///      ...and then, just as all was in kaos, someone said:       |
| \XX/     "Let there be ... what was that!? ... An Amiga? ... light!" |

In <822@lilink.UUCP>, intern@lilink.UUCP (Steve Faiwisewski) writes:
>In article <7751@cbmvax.UUCP> mks@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael Sinz - CATS) writes:
>>Has anyone done a port to Native AmigaDOS of RCS or SCCS?
>>Is anyone doing such a port at this time?
>>What would the interest be in such a beast?
>>(I know I would like one and there is at least on other developer
>> that wants one...)
>>Just needed to find out before I set out to do such a task...
>>|      /// Michael Sinz -- CATS/Amiga Software/Support Engineer        |
>>|     ///  PHONE 215-431-9422  UUCP ( uunet | rutgers ) !cbmvax!mks    |
>
>Well, I don't know if there is such a best for the Amy at this point,
>but I, for one, would LOVE it.  We use CMS at work (running VMS), and
>would not be able to get along without it.  Having something like that
>on the Amiga would have saved me quite a few headaches in the past.
>
>So, when will it be ready? ;-)

I don't know the current status of it, but Rick Schaeffer was working on RCS.
Apparently he was well along, perhaps nearing completion, but had to determine
something about the status of the code he was porting from before releasing it.

More if I hear anything.

-larry

--
The Mac? Oh, that's just like a computer, only slower.

dah@esfenn.UUCP (Darrin Hyrup) (08/27/89)

In article <7751@cbmvax.UUCP> mks@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael Sinz - CATS) writes:
>What would the interest be in such a beast?
>(I know I would like one and there is at least on other developer
> that wants one...)
>
>Just needed to find out before I set out to do such a task...

I can tell you right now that myself and at least 4 others that I know are
interested in it. We've been debating on doing it ourselves, but deadlines
approacheth, so its been put on the back burner. But be assured that there
is PLENTY of interest out there!

Please keep us up to date on how it comes along, very interested!

             Darrin

/* Darrin A. Hyrup   -=-   MagikSoft, Inc. \XX| "Speak little and well, if *\
** -----------------------------------------\X|  you wish to be considered **
\* {pacbell,rencon,cpro}!esfenn!sorinc!magik \|  as possessing merit."     */

intern@lilink.UUCP (Steve Faiwisewski) (08/27/89)

In article <7751@cbmvax.UUCP> mks@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael Sinz - CATS) writes:
>Has anyone done a port to Native AmigaDOS of RCS or SCCS?
>Is anyone doing such a port at this time?
>What would the interest be in such a beast?
>(I know I would like one and there is at least on other developer
> that wants one...)
>Just needed to find out before I set out to do such a task...
>|      /// Michael Sinz -- CATS/Amiga Software/Support Engineer        |
>|     ///  PHONE 215-431-9422  UUCP ( uunet | rutgers ) !cbmvax!mks    |

Well, I don't know if there is such a best for the Amy at this point,
but I, for one, would LOVE it.  We use CMS at work (running VMS), and
would not be able to get along without it.  Having something like that
on the Amiga would have saved me quite a few headaches in the past.

So, when will it be ready? ;-)

	- Steve -
Steve Faiwiszewski					intern@lilink.UUCP
							intern@dasys1.UUCP

ricks@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Rick Schaeffer) (08/27/89)

In article <7751@cbmvax.UUCP> mks@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael Sinz - CATS) writes:
>Has anyone done a port to Native AmigaDOS of RCS or SCCS?
>
>Is anyone doing such a port at this time?

I sent Michael a reply by email...but thought the rest of the net might
be interested.  I have a port of RCS running on my Amiga.  I have
corresponded with the author about distributing it and he informed that
he would agree ONLY if I had a complete system working.  The only part
I am missing is rcsmerge...which requires a working "diff3" utility.  I
have gotten diff3 from the GNU effort and have it partially ported...it
wants to use "popen".  I wrote a popen which uses the AmigaDos PIPE:
device but it isn't very reliable and has particular problems with
detecting the death of the child process.  I picked up the popen
routine which was posted here some weeks/months ago and have it working
but it also has problems with "death of a child" and also requires use
of ARP and Conman, which I want to avoid if possible.

If anyone has a reliable "popen" clone, please email it to me.  Any
other suggestions about detecting the presence and/or death of the
process being "piped" from are also welcome.
--
Rick Schaeffer          UUCP:  uunet!iscuva.iscs.com!ricks
ISC-Bunker Ramo                ricks@iscuva.iscs.com

ddave@pnet02.gryphon.com (David Donley) (08/28/89)

mks@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael Sinz - CATS) writes:
>Has anyone done a port to Native AmigaDOS of RCS or SCCS?
>What would the interest be in such a beast?
>Just needed to find out before I set out to do such a task...
>
>/----------------------------------------------------------------------\
>|      /// Michael Sinz -- CATS/Amiga Software/Support Engineer        |
>|     ///  PHONE 215-431-9422  UUCP ( uunet | rutgers ) !cbmvax!mks    |
>|    ///                                                               |
>|\\\///      ...and then, just as all was in kaos, someone said:       |
>| \XX/     "Let there be ... what was that!? ... An Amiga? ... light!" |
>\----------------------------------------------------------------------/

I know I'd like to have an SCCS type thingi for my Amiga...

Source code to man:

main()
{
        system("cat /usr/man/* | tbl | nroff | cut | math | uncompress | ex |
ed | grep | egrep | more");
}

intern@lilink.UUCP (Steve Faiwisewski) (08/29/89)

In article <2607@iscuva.ISCS.COM> ricks@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Rick Schaeffer) writes:
>In article <7751@cbmvax.UUCP> mks@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael Sinz - CATS) writes:
>>Has anyone done a port to Native AmigaDOS of RCS or SCCS?
>...but it also has problems with "death of a child" and also requires use
>of ARP and Conman, which I want to avoid if possible.
>--
>Rick Schaeffer          UUCP:  uunet!iscuva.iscs.com!ricks
>ISC-Bunker Ramo                ricks@iscuva.iscs.com

I don't understand why you want to avoid using ARP?  ARP is popular,
and lots of people have it (and it should be made more popular by
using it in different products).  You can always distribute ARP along
with your application.  I feel the same about ConMan, but I understand
why you might want to avoid ut.

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (08/30/89)

In article <825@lilink.UUCP> intern@lilink.UUCP (Steve Faiwisewski) writes:
>I don't understand why you want to avoid using ARP?  ARP is popular,
>Steve Faiwiszewski					intern@lilink.UUCP

I can't speak for anyone else, but I avoid it primarily because of the
incompatibilities and bugs that are discussed on the net here.
"Mount has to be tweaked this way", "ARP Run does not quite work",
"Resident needs this new parameter", etc.  If it was kept compatible,
I would probably use it.   I would like to use the ARP library
for file requestors and such, but I have not seen any documentation
on doing so (it must be out there, but I haven't seen it).

Since I now have a hard disk (yea!) the savings in size are
insignificant.                -- Darren

donw@zehntel.zehntel.com (Don White) (08/30/89)

In article <479@esfenn.UUCP> dah@esfenn.UUCP (Darrin Hyrup) writes:
>In article <7751@cbmvax.UUCP> mks@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael Sinz - CATS) writes:
>>What would the interest be in such a beast?
>>(I know I would like one and there is at least on other developer
>> that wants one...)

     Your talking about RCS as in Revision Control System?  Absolutely!!!

     I am VERY interested! It is the best possible form of backup!
     RCS can help maintain focus in development. AND it provides
     great historical references which prevents problems on LARGE
     development projects!

     Please let me know what you find!

     Don White
     Box 271177 Concord CA. 94527-1177
     zehntel!donw

intern@lilink.UUCP (Steve Faiwisewski) (08/30/89)

In article <22766@louie.udel.EDU> new@udel.EDU (Darren New) writes:
>In article <825@lilink.UUCP> intern@lilink.UUCP (Steve Faiwisewski) writes:
>>I don't understand why you want to avoid using ARP?  ARP is popular,
>>Steve Faiwiszewski					intern@lilink.UUCP
>
>I can't speak for anyone else, but I avoid it primarily because of the
>incompatibilities and bugs that are discussed on the net here.
>"Mount has to be tweaked this way", "ARP Run does not quite work",
>"Resident needs this new parameter", etc.
>                -- Darren

I personally never had problems with any ARP command (but then again, I
don't use ARP's run).  But just because you don't like the ARP
commands doesn't mean that you have to avoid the ARP library, which is
a wonderful collection of routines.  You may distribute arp.library
without any of the accompanying commands.  There are docs available
for the library.  I have the docs for ARP 1.1, and I believe that the
1.3 docs are out already (but don't quote me on that).

	- Steve -
Steve Faiwiszewski					intern@lilink.UUCP
							intern@dasys1.UUCP

In article <825@lilink.UUCP>, intern@lilink.UUCP (Steve Faiwisewski) writes:
> I don't understand why you want to avoid using ARP?  ARP is popular,
> and lots of people have it (and it should be made more popular by
> using it in different products).

Obligatory sarcastic comment... you can say the same about the IBM PC.

ARP has a number of negative aspects. First and foremost, the ARP commands
do not quite match the AmigaDOS equivalents. Secondly, the thing is written
in assembly language. Now I realise memory isn't free, but on the Amiga it's
cheap enough that there's really no need to go for assembly and take on the
increased risk of bugs and increased support cost. Thirdly, the library is
in places gratuitously weird, particularly the wildcard parsing.

I used ARP extensively in 1.2 and was always finding places it was different
from AmigaDOS or just plain broken. By the time I switched to 1.3 I had been
forced to dump a good many of the ARP programs and go back to the old set.
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva      `-_-'
...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.hackercorp.com  'U`