[comp.sys.amiga.tech] LF vs CR LF

dillon@POSTGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (08/25/89)

:How about using CR LF's?  One seriously braindamaged (in my opInion) 'feature'
:of AmigashmnOS is that it uses LF's for end of lines.  This creates lots
:of problems when I'm taking my textfiles to IBM's and other machines.
:
:Why couldn't they have done it proper? Lf is a line feed! and CR is a
:carriage return.  It's a pain when programs start sticking out LF's
:in the middle of lines.  Such programs usualy crap out on my terminal
:(he who lives without a terminal for editing is not alive).

	HA!  That really strikes me funny.  Do you know what kind of @!#$
    crap one has to go through with 'cooked' and 'raw' modes on IBM (pc)
    files?  Yes, that's right, on file descriptors, implemented at the
    DOS level.  It screws up everything.  Do you know that the default for
    IBM-PC *DEVICE DRIVERS* is 'cooked' ??  You need to do an ioctl to fix
    it.

	CR LF is an old standard ... very very very old.  LF alone has
    been around for many many years and is the new standard.  It is much
    easier to deal with a single line terminator character than a pair.

	In anycase, your 'pain' probably comes from your upbringing.  I
    use mainly UNIX boxes which all use a single LF as a line terminator.

					-Matt

2FHDDOWEL@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (09/06/89)

In article <8908250325.AA28433@postgres.Berkeley.EDU>, dillon@POSTGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
> :How about using CR LF's?  One seriously braindamaged (in my opInion) 'feature'
> :of AmigashmnOS is that it uses LF's for end of lines.  This creates lots
> :of problems when I'm taking my textfiles to IBM's and other machines.
> :
> :Why couldn't they have done it proper? Lf is a line feed! and CR is a
> :carriage return.  It's a pain when programs start sticking out LF's
> :in the middle of lines.  Such programs usualy crap out on my terminal
> :(he who lives without a terminal for editing is not alive).
>
> 	HA!  That really strikes me funny.  Do you know what kind of @!#$
>     crap one has to go through with 'cooked' and 'raw' modes on IBM (pc)
>     files?  Yes, that's right, on file descriptors, implemented at the
>     DOS level.  It screws up everything.  Do you know that the default for
>     IBM-PC *DEVICE DRIVERS* is 'cooked' ??  You need to do an ioctl to fix
>     it.
>
> 	CR LF is an old standard ... very very very old.  LF alone has
>     been around for many many years and is the new standard.  It is much
>     easier to deal with a single line terminator character than a pair.
>
> 	In anycase, your 'pain' probably comes from your upbringing.  I
>     use mainly UNIX boxes which all use a single LF as a line terminator.
>
> 					-Matt

2FHDDOWEL@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (09/06/89)

I realize that this is a reply to an article over a month old,
but for future reference for those from the world of machines
that use CR or CR LF as line terminators:

   The ANSI and ISO standards defining ASCII and IA5
   *SPECIFICALLY STATE* that LF is the line terminator
   character.

--John Thywissen

P.S.: If you got an article that just contained a copy of a
      message of Mr. Dillon's on the subject, I applogize.
      (VMS NEWS bug)