[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Nonstandard sector sizes

filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) (09/09/89)

In article <1065@lakesys.UUCP> Mike Shawaluk writes:
>What nobody has said is whether it's just 256-byte sectors that are the
>problem, or whether the controllers ONLY handle 512-byte sectors.

>So, my question is, are any sector sizes other than 512 (i.e., 1024) bytes
>supported by the popular A1000 controllers (I currently have a Supra 4x4, but
>I am toying with upgrading to the C LTD Kronos unit, when it becomes
>available "RSN")?

AmigaDOS 1.3 -- or at least the file systems that it includes, OFS and FFS --
only support 512-byte sectors.  The software support necessary to allow the
file systems to work with 256-byte sectors is (or should be, someone correct
me if I'm wrong) quite easy: for each AmigaDOS request for N sectors starting
at location M, supply 2N sectors starting at location 2M.  Handling 1K
sectors would be somewhat more difficult.  The driver would have to buffer 1K
sectors, passing appropriate half-sectors to AmigaDOS; on writes, it would
have to read a sector, copy AmigaDOS' data over half of it, and write it
back.

What I'm leading up to here is that I doubt any vendor would support 1K
sectors without also supporting 256-byte sectors -- much the easier task.
C. Ltd. is the only vendor I've been offered any hope on.  Since you're
already inclining toward their controller, I recommend calling them and
asking.  In my opinion, 256-byte support is trivial, 1K support is
non-trivial, so don't get your hopes too high.  Do ask them to consider
adding such support if they don't already have it.  Good luck.  >Bela<

Bela Lubkin     * *   filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us   CIS: 73047,1112
     @        * *     ...ucbvax!ucscc!gorn!filbo    ^^^  REALLY slow [months]
R Pentomino     *     Filbo @ Pyrzqxgl (408) 476-4633 & XBBS (408) 476-4945