[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Multiple assigns and stuff.

rtczegledi@crocus.waterloo.edu (Richard Czegledi) (09/07/89)

Is there any way to fool the system into letting you do multiple
assigns to multiple directories.

I mean, is there a way to let me do something like this:

assign c: sys:c partition1:c partition3:neatcommands

Instead of using paths.

Also, I'm having a whopper of a bad time with the program SetFont.
I like running in interlace, and I use my own 16 point font (same size
as topaz, but smoother).  Anyway, I find I also have to "Expunge"
libraries every now and then or I start to loose my mind.  When I
expunge, or start to run low on memory, then my pretty font dies.

Several things can happen:  The font can simply dis-appear, or garbage
can fill the font.  Usualy, if I don't do another setfont quickly,
the machine will guru.

Also, ever since I moved to workbench 1.3, I've noticed something weird
with the way the system adopts fonts.

It used to be that once I set a font, and opened up a new cli, or window,
or something, that the title bar would now be the same height of my
window.  This looked pretty.  But ever since I've moved to 1.3, the window
title bar stays the same height of topaz 8, but whenever I activate the
window, the name of the window is rendered in the new font (so it sticks
it's ugly head into the window).

My startup sequence is approx. as follows:

(important stuff)
mount vdk:
cd vdk:
setpatch >nil:
ReadClock
Setfont Pons
FF
Runback -s4000 Qmouse -b -r
wait 3
runback c:faccII
wait 4
rexxmast

help would be appreciated.

cmcmanis@sun.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (09/12/89)

In article <16253@watdragon.waterloo.edu> (Richard Czegledi) writes:
>Is there any way to fool the system into letting you do multiple
>assigns to multiple directories.
>Instead of using paths.

Yes, Bill Hawes and Rico Marriani(sp?) have both independently developed
programs that let you do this. Bill's is available on the latest Wshell
disk (it's a commercial product I believe) and Rico's was posted to the
source groups so you should be able to get it from kilowatt or on a Fish
disk. Note that there are serious problems when it comes to the policies
for "writing" into such a psuedo directory. Further you can get directory
listings with multiple identical files and that confuses the heck out of
some programs which (quite reasonably) make the assumption that the name
space of the file system is unique.

>Also, I'm having a whopper of a bad time with the program SetFont.
>I like running in interlace, and I use my own 16 point font (same size
>as topaz, but smoother).

Not too suprising because the system doesn't really support the ability
to hijack the default font out from underneath it and that is what SetFont
does. However, it is unarguably useful and your problems are related to
probably an old version of SetFont.

>  Anyway, I find I also have to "Expunge"
>libraries every now and then or I start to loose my mind.  When I
>expunge, or start to run low on memory, then my pretty font dies.

What happens of course is that your font gets expunged from memory
like everything else with a zero open count and yet your windows are
still using it. Think about what it means to have your font memory on
the free pool, can you imagine some of the effects that would occur
from such a situation ? SetFont 2.0 is the latest I believe and it
leaves the font open in memory (and thus unexpungable).

> But ever since I've moved to 1.3, the window
>title bar stays the same height of topaz 8, but whenever I activate the
>window, the name of the window is rendered in the new font (so it sticks
>it's ugly head into the window).

Sounds like an old version of setfont as well.

>My startup sequence is approx. as follows:
>Setfont Pons

This should probably be "Setfont Pons WINDOW" (or whatever the syntax is
for just changing the window fonts) because you can crash the system if you
use a large font and some menus get rendered with it.

--
--Chuck McManis
These opinions are my own and no one elses. But you knew that, didn't you.