[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Death of a Monitor

griffin@aludra.usc.edu (Dennis Griffin) (09/11/89)

    Hiya, I'm new here, so I don't know if this topic has been beaten to
death yet, but I am an owner of a dying 1084 monitor (magnavox type).
From what I understand, the problem I have is quite common:  the monitor
simply "shuts off" by itself every once in a while, and I hafta give it
a real stiff WHACK on the side to make it come back on.  One day I got tired
of beating my monitor, so I took the back cover off and started fiddling.
Now don't give me the standard warnings, I know all about them, I'm a CPE.
But anyway, I noticed that if you depress or raise the back left (when
facing from the front) of the PC board in the bottom of the case, then you
can turn the monitor on and off at will.  I assume that this wuld mean that
there is a problem with the PC board, like some kind of manufacturing defect.
    A friend of mine fixed the problem with his Magnavox monitor (which looks
exactly the same) by jamming paper under the shielding on the PC board, thus
elevating the corner.  There MUST be a better way to fix the problem, and
since it is a pretty common one, I'm hoping somebody out there can help
me with a fix.	It's just too bad that the defect showed up after the
warrantee was over.
   If there is no fix, are the "new" monitors any better?  I understand that
Commodore canned the old manufacturers because of bad quality, but are the
new monitors likely to fizzle out quickly, also?

dennis

--
dennis griffin                                griffin@aludra.usc.edu
                      another hopeless fool

griffin@aludra.usc.edu (Dennis Griffin) (09/13/89)

   Howdy.  I recently posted a question asking about my dead 1084, and would
like to thank the people who replied.  Just in case there are any others out
there who are suffering in quietude, here's what I was told:

Subject: Re: Death of a Monitor
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.tech

In article <5032@merlin.usc.edu>, griffin@aludra.usc.edu (Dennis Griffin) writes:

>     Hiya, I'm new here, so I don't know if this topic has been beaten to
> death yet, but I am an owner of a dying 1084 monitor (magnavox type).
> From what I understand, the problem I have is quite common:  the monitor
> simply "shuts off" by itself every once in a while, and I hafta give it
> a real stiff WHACK on the side to make it come back on.  One day I got tired

There is a fix to your problem.  If your monitor is the same as mine (and it
sounds exactly the same) the problem lies in the flyback transformer not being
properly soldered to the board.  You need to take the board out of the back
of the monitor (after disconnecting most of the cables) far enough that you
can get it out to do a little work.  You then need to unsolder the tabs that
hold the metal shield onto the bottom of the board, and take off the shield.
If you inspect the solder joints around the flyback transformer (it's the
biggest single part on the circuit board.  The one that the high voltage lead
to the side of the picture tube comes from.), you should find that the joints
have cracks in the solder.  These cracks cause intermittent sparking sounds,
and as they get worse intermittent periods of monitor failure.  You need to
find them all and resolder them.  Then put everything back together.  Before
doing this, I recommend you turn turn the monitor off for a considerable length
of time to let all the capacitors drain.  Even so, there may be the danger of
getting a shock or something, for which I take no liability....  If you do any
of this it is at your own risk....  etc...

I'm not easily able to post this myself due to access restrictions I am working
out.  Be sure to send any questions to:

		Ross Martin
		agrgm@acvax.inre.asu.edu
		agrgm@asuacvax.bitnet