[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Networking Amigas- Hardware Question

henning@agnes.uucp (Mark D. Henning) (09/13/89)

Hello, all you hardware people in netland,

I have a duesy!  St. Olaf has just opened its newest dorm for
residence, and WOW, what a neat place.  We have two intelligently
plaved phone jacks in the room as well as "computer" rj11 jack
immediately above them.  The computer jacks are not connected to
anything but the punchdown block in the homerun room for the telephone
trunk.

I checked with telecomunications and they are hooking my and a
neighbor's "computer" jacks with a jumper in the homerun room.

My problem is this:  They only have 2 wires (BY pair I assume) which
is just dandy if you have a Mac phonenet system.  However, This is
just about useless for RS232 communication. (which the college gets by
using 3 wires; tran. rec. gnd.)

The run between our rooms is about 300 feet total including the
jumper.

How can we get the signals through.  My supervisor (I work with
Electronic Services) sugested I go half-duplex and hook up a
transiever to multiplex the rec. and trans. lines onto one line and
then use the second for reference ground.  However, I'm not sure this
idea would work at speeds of 56kbaud or so.

Any Ideas will be appreciated, and I will post a compilation of the

					Thanks in advance,
					Mark Henning
All opinions are my own, as are the spellings
any deviation from the norm is just an effect
of my deviance.

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (09/13/89)

In article <5776@thor.acc.stolaf.edu> henning@agnes.uucp (Mark D. Henning) writes:
>Hello, all you hardware people in netland,
>
> [Asks how to achieve cmmunication with only two wires]

    Get your hands on a Black Box catalog and check for a suitable Short
Haul Modem (SHM). Lemme check mine...

    Well, you can pick up cheap ones for $130 that will run up to 19,200
baud. 57K? Checking... Faster ones are Sync, not Async (RS232 is async).

    (Black Box: 412-746-5565 [tech support], 412-746-5530 [ordering].
Call 'em and ask for a catalog.)