[comp.sys.amiga.tech] toolpath wanted in workbench 1.4

waggoner@berlioz (Mark Waggoner) (08/26/89)

Number 579 in the 1.4 wish series.

I really want a 'toolpath' for workbench.  I really hate it when
workbench can't find a project's tool just because the tool either
isn't installed in some specially named place or it is in a different
place on machine A than it is on machine B.  One of the nice things
about the Mac is that it will find a tool for you if it is available
anywhere.

What I propose:
 1. Workbench would first look for the tool using the name in the
    default tool field of the project WITH DISK REQUESTERS TURNED OFF.
 2. If not found, Workbench searches for the tool in the 'toolpath'
	(perhaps an environment variable? )
 3. If still not found - and the default tool specifies an absolute
    path, turn on the disk requesters and look for it again.
 4. If STILL not found - put up a REQUESTER to the effect:
	'Could not find the tool XXXX for project XXXX'
	NOT a silly error message in the title bar.  Maybe even
	CENTER IT ON THE SCREEN!

So... is it 'in there'?

|  Mark Waggoner   (408) 721-6306           waggoner@icebox.nsc.com  |
|                       mail troubles? try: waggoner@logic.nsc.com   |

rtczegledi@crocus.waterloo.edu (Richard Czegledi) (08/26/89)

In article <688@berlioz.nsc.com> waggoner@berlioz (Mark Waggoner) writes:

>Number 579 in the 1.4 wish series.
>
>I really want a 'toolpath' for workbench.  I really hate it when
>workbench can't find a project's tool just because the tool either
>isn't installed in some specially named place or it is in a different
>place on machine A than it is on machine B.  One of the nice things
>about the Mac is that it will find a tool for you if it is available
>anywhere.
>
>What I propose:
> 1. Workbench would first look for the tool using the name in the
>    default tool field of the project WITH DISK REQUESTERS TURNED OFF.
> 2. If not found, Workbench searches for the tool in the 'toolpath'
>	(perhaps an environment variable? )
> 3. If still not found - and the default tool specifies an absolute
>    path, turn on the disk requesters and look for it again.
> 4. If STILL not found - put up a REQUESTER to the effect:
>	'Could not find the tool XXXX for project XXXX'
>	NOT a silly error message in the title bar.  Maybe even
>	CENTER IT ON THE SCREEN!

Number 2017 of the 1.4 wish series (remember email):

Neat idea.  It would be great if we could have icons in directories, and
have the program exist in some other directory.  Then we could have the
convenience of having a preferences icon in several drawers on a hard drive,
but have only one preferences program on disk.  Have it so you can also
specify other volumes or devices where the program can exist.  Then we
could really run programs over a network or something.

Something else that would be pretty gosh darn teriffic (and I'm not asking
for much here guys) is to have directories with multiple enterances.  I mean,
you have 2 icons named utilities, in 2 diferent directories, that both take
you into the same directory.  It saves hunting through 3 or 4 windows all
cluttered with icons just to find the path.  It could also make for nice
and short path names if you plan it right.

A less than ideal but nearly there soluiton could be something like an assign.
You assign utilities: to be sys:utilities, and then you can create an icon to
open utilities: and it will look where it is.

Now, that doesn't seem like much to ask for.  And it is neat, eh Mr. Commodore
developers?

In article <16131@watdragon.waterloo.edu> rtczegledi@crocus.waterloo.edu (Richard Czegledi) writes:
>In article <688@berlioz.nsc.com> waggoner@berlioz (Mark Waggoner) writes:
>
>Neat idea.  It would be great if we could have icons in directories, and
>have the program exist in some other directory.  Then we could have the
>convenience of having a preferences icon in several drawers on a hard drive,
You can do this with 1.3 WB. Thats how the Prefs drawer works. It has
3 icons which point to the same executable. You could just
move them elsewhere, all they would (if the you change the path from
INFO)

>Something else that would be pretty gosh darn teriffic (and I'm not asking
>for much here guys) is to have directories with multiple enterances.  I mean,
>you have 2 icons named utilities, in 2 diferent directories, that both take
This is known as 'links'. Hard or soft would do this.
If I had to pick which kind of links to have, I would prefer soft (symbolic)
links. They are generally more useful/flexible, but then they
can't replace the functionality of hard links.

Heres another wish list:
 NUMBER ONE! THIS should have been there since pre 1.0. When
 something fails in the workbench, I don't want to see
 Something failed, Error 217
 In the title bar. What the h*ck is "Error ###"!!!!!

Neat idea: Make PATH work for all "NAME:" things. Then if a program
tries to open "tools:preferences", DOS would automagically look
in places specified by the PATH command. I think that
this could be transparent to existing stuff, and I doubt
it would cause much trouble. It would make things MUCH nicer.
There would of course need to be a way to extract the path that
dos used to get at the file, but this needs to be done
for the executable PATH anyways.

One more little nit, when the computer get turnedon/restarted
place the mouse in the *middle* of the display. Its a
little thing, but its nicer and trivial to do.

Same thing goes for "System Requests". Put 'em in the center
of the display. They are much more vizible, and on average
would be closer to the mouse.
If multiple Requests come up, offset the later ones so
they do not completely cover up existing ones.
And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give more info in most
of those requests.
REAL NAME: Joe Porkka   jap@frith.cl.msu.edu

charles@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Charles Brown) (08/29/89)

>> I really want a 'toolpath' for workbench.  I really hate it when
>> workbench can't find a project's tool just because the tool either
>> isn't installed in some specially named place or it is in a different
>> place on machine A than it is on machine B.  ...

> Neat idea.  It would be great if we could have icons in directories, and
> have the program exist in some other directory.  Then we could have the
> convenience of having a preferences icon in several drawers on a hard drive,
> but have only one preferences program on disk.

File system links gives you this and more.  With links, the
preferences program would actually exist in one place.  The links
would point to the real preferences.  To the causal user, a link looks
just like a regular file, or in this case, a regular program.  It just
doesn't take up nearly as much disk space as the real file.

So giving us links would allow you this solution for the Workbench as
well as for the CLI.

> Something else that would be pretty gosh darn teriffic (and I'm not asking
> for much here guys) is to have directories with multiple enterances.  I mean,
> you have 2 icons named utilities, in 2 diferent directories, that both take
> you into the same directory.  It saves hunting through 3 or 4 windows all
> cluttered with icons just to find the path.  It could also make for nice
> and short path names if you plan it right.

If links are provided for directories as well as files, this is also
easy to do.  Again, to the causal user, it looks like a regular
directory.  But in fact, you are in another directory.
--
	Charles Brown	charles@cv.hp.com or charles%hpcvca@hplabs.hp.com
			or hplabs!hpcvca!charles or "Hey you!"

pl@etana.tut.fi (Lehtinen Pertti) (08/29/89)

From article <1410027@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM>, by charles@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Charles Brown):

> If links are provided for directories as well as files, this is also
> easy to do.  Again, to the causal user, it looks like a regular
> directory.  But in fact, you are in another directory.

	There are also some pitfalls if you happen to build some
	nice little circular paths.

	Guess why Unix doesn't allow you make hard links to directories.

--

pl@tut.fi				! All opinions expressed above are
Pertti Lehtinen				! purely offending and in subject

charles@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Charles Brown) (08/31/89)

>> If links are provided for directories as well as files, this is also
>> easy to do.  Again, to the causal user, it looks like a regular
>> directory.  But in fact, you are in another directory.

>	There are also some pitfalls if you happen to build some
>	nice little circular paths.
>	Guess why Unix doesn't allow you make hard links to directories.
>Pertti Lehtinen

True but irrelevant.  The probability of Amiga getting hard links is
nil.  And with soft links there is no problem.
--
	Charles Brown	charles@cv.hp.com or charles%hpcvca@hplabs.hp.com
			or hplabs!hpcvca!charles or "Hey you!"
	Not representing my employer.
	"The guy sure looks like plant food to me." Little Shop of Horrors

In article <8382@etana.tut.fi>, pl@etana.tut.fi (Lehtinen Pertti) writes:
> 	Guess why Unix doesn't allow you make hard links to directories.

But it does.
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva      `-_-'
...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.hackercorp.com  'U`

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (09/01/89)

In article <4147@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <8382@etana.tut.fi>, pl@etana.tut.fi (Lehtinen Pertti) writes:
>> 	Guess why Unix doesn't allow you make hard links to directories.
>But it does.
huh? The last version of Unix that allowed you to was long ago. I just
tried it here on my sun and it won't let me.
What kinda Unix you got out there, peter?
Or do you know some good trick i don't know. Bypassing link(2) is not
kosher as a good trick, btw.
ron
p.s. transcript follows:

lois> ln bin binxx
bin is a directory

fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) (09/04/89)

In article <13757@super.ORG> rminnich@super.UUCP (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
>In article <4147@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>In article <8382@etana.tut.fi>, pl@etana.tut.fi (Lehtinen Pertti) writes:
>>> 	Guess why Unix doesn't allow you make hard links to directories.
>>But it does.
>huh? The last version of Unix that allowed you to was long ago. I just
>tried it here on my sun and it won't let me.
>What kinda Unix you got out there, peter?

This is not exactly related to the Amiga but here goes anyway.  This
is on SCO Xenix 2.3.1, and should work on probably any Unix, including
a Sun...

Script started [typescript] at Sun Sep  3 20:41:31 1989
# cat junk.c
main ()
{
    system ("mkdir junk");
    link ("junk", "junk2");
}
# cc junk.c
# ./a.out
# ls -lid junk*
 1805 drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root          32 Sep  3 20:41 junk
 1998 -rw-r--r--   1 root     root          61 Sep  3 20:38 junk.c
 1805 drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root          32 Sep  3 20:41 junk2
(note inode numbers of 1805 show that junk and junk2 are links to the
 same directory)
# date >junk/file
# ls -li junk junk2

junk:
total 2
 1949 -rw-r--r--   1 root     root          29 Sep  3 20:42 file

junk2:
total 2
 1949 -rw-r--r--   1 root     root          29 Sep  3 20:42 file
# rm junk/*
# ls junk
# ls junk2
# rmdir junk junk2
# exit
Script ended [typescript] at Sun Sep  3 20:42:31 1989
--
# Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
# 1-602-491-0048           asuvax!{nud,mcdphx}!estinc!fnf

ddave@pnet02.gryphon.com (David Donley) (09/05/89)

fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
>In article <13757@super.ORG> rminnich@super.UUCP (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
>>>But it does.
>>huh? The last version of Unix that allowed you to was long ago. I just
>>tried it here on my sun and it won't let me.
>>What kinda Unix you got out there, peter?
>
>This is not exactly related to the Amiga but here goes anyway.  This
>is on SCO Xenix 2.3.1, and should work on probably any Unix, including
>a Sun...
> <Example of how to link a dir>
># Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
># 1-602-491-0048           asuvax!{nud,mcdphx}!estinc!fnf

On HP-UX systems you have to be superuser to link directories.

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (09/05/89)

In article <19465@gryphon.COM> ddave@pnet02.gryphon.com (David Donley) writes:
>fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
>>This is not exactly related to the Amiga but here goes anyway.  This
>>is on SCO Xenix 2.3.1, and should work on probably any Unix, including
>>a Sun...
>On HP-UX systems you have to be superuser to link directories.
Well, i know the manual says you can as root, my memory is that
v6 kernel code and later forbode (forbade?) it, so you got me.
My memory is clearly missing some bits.
Anyway, on a sunos system, here is a transcript:
super# ln bin binxxx
bin is a directory
super#
note that i was running as root. HP-UX, depending on the machine, is
not a real unix derivative (i.e. the 500 series).
Boy, unix is really losing it fast as a standard ...
Sorry for the digression from Unix too. But it should now be clear
that we don't want hard links in Amigados????
Personally, i think hard links to directorys are Evil.
Read the BSTJ on Unix (1978) for a comment on such things.
ron

In article <13842@super.ORG> rminnich@super.UUCP (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
_>In article <19465@gryphon.COM> ddave@pnet02.gryphon.com (David Donley) writes:
_>>fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
_[ interesting things deleted]
_>Personally, i think hard links to directorys are Evil.
_>Read the BSTJ on Unix (1978) for a comment on such things.

Hmmm...Now if we put hard links into AmigaOS, and allowed them
to work with directories then we would end up with a filesystem
network as opposed to a filesystem tree :-)

What is the "root" of a filesystem then? or a parent directory?

I bet there are lots of neat trick you could play on programs that
expect a simple filesystem tree, heh heh heh ....
Backup programs in particular whould go crazy!

On a more serious note, something I would like to see, and would
effectivly add paths to anything are directory continues, as
opposed to links.
"continue sys:libs with someotherdisk:libs"

Then when you "DIR SYS:LIBS", the extires in someotherdisk:libs
would also appear.
I would not want to be the one to write the error
checking (loop detection) and other eveil things for this though :-)
REAL NAME: Joe Porkka   jap@frith.cl.msu.edu

ddave@pnet02.gryphon.com (David Donley) (09/06/89)

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
>In article <19465@gryphon.COM> ddave@pnet02.gryphon.com (David Donley) writes:
>>fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
>>>This is not exactly related to the Amiga but here goes anyway.  This
>>>is on SCO Xenix 2.3.1, and should work on probably any Unix, including
>>>a Sun...
>>On HP-UX systems you have to be superuser to link directories.
>note that i was running as root. HP-UX, depending on the machine, is
>not a real unix derivative (i.e. the 500 series).
>Personally, i think hard links to directorys are Evil.
>ron

I think hard links stink too- they are just a slow crummy way of doing
alias...  HOWEVER, some nice thing in workbench to let you cluster tools in an
icon and such...  (It's in there, right?)
Well, I was talking about a 9000 series 800- I don't know about anything
else...

Never seen a "Real" AT&T unix box in my life...  I've called a VAX, but that's
not UN*X, that's slow.  Anyhow, I didn't write this, as I'd never say anything
about UN*X in an AMiga conference... :-)

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (09/06/89)

On 5 Sep 89 21:00:21 GMT, ddave@pnet02.gryphon.com (David Donley) said:

ddave> I think hard links stink too- they are just a slow crummy way
ddave> of doing alias...

Excuse me?  Hard links have other uses than to multiname executables.
"alias" is shell-specific anyhow, and using a hard link is guaranteed
to be faster.  Hard links have their uses, but won't easily fit into
AmigaDOS as it is.

Deven
--
Deven T. Corzine        Internet:  deven@rpi.edu, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
Snail:  2214 12th Street, Troy, NY 12180       Phone:  (518) 271-0750

esker@abaa.uucp (Lawrence Esker) (09/06/89)

In article <4466@cps3xx.UUCP> porkka@frith.UUCP (Joe Porkka) writes:
>On a more serious note, something I would like to see, and would
>effectivly add paths to anything are directory continues, as
>opposed to links.
>"continue sys:libs with someotherdisk:libs"
>
>Then when you "DIR SYS:LIBS", the extires in someotherdisk:libs
>would also appear.
>REAL NAME: Joe Porkka   jap@frith.cl.msu.edu

There is a program (PD or Shareware?) that does something similar.  It is
called PathAsn for path assignment.  It allows multiple directories (or files)
to be assigned to the same name.  When you do a dir in that name, all
directories assigned to it are listed.

Email me if you need it.  I don't have much call to use it; don't remember who
did it; got it from CompuServe.  I'll send to Bob Page if enough interest.

BTW.  I don't see whats wrong with providing links to directories.  If a person
is too novice to comprehend the consequences, don't use it.  But at least allow
those who can the capability.
--
---------- Lawrence W. Esker ----------  Modern Amish: Thou shalt not need any
                                         computer that is not IBM compatible.

ericb@athertn.Atherton.COM (Eric Black) (09/07/89)

Enough, already!

[for those who aren't aware of it, there is a difference between the
system call `link()', described in section 2 of the Unix Programmer's Manual,
and the `ln' command, described in section 1 of the manual.

The `ln' command "protects" users from themselves by not even calling the
`link()' system call if the target is a directory.

This is why Fred's example works, and why attempts to do it with `ln' don't.
Please stop the "Gee...it doesn't work on *my* Un*x box!" messages!

----
Eric Black	"Garbage in, Gospel out"
Atherton Technology, 1333 Bordeaux Dr., Sunnyvale, CA, 94089
   E-mail:     ericb@Atherton.COM
   UUCP:      {decwrl,hpda,pyramid,coherent,sun}!athertn!ericb
   Voice:     +1 408 734 9822

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (09/08/89)

In article <12350@mango.athertn.Atherton.COM> ericb@Atherton.COM (Eric Black) writes:
>[for those who aren't aware of it, there is a difference between the
>system call `link()', described in section 2 of the Unix Programmer's Manual,
>and the `ln' command, described in section 1 of the manual.
ah, yes, but i am allowed to say stupid things.
It is right there in my job description.
Geez, can't believe i got this so screwed up....
Guess i got to hand in my keys to the kernel.
sorry.
ron

ddave@pnet02.gryphon.com (David Donley) (09/08/89)

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) writes:

>On 5 Sep 89 21:00:21 GMT, ddave@pnet02.gryphon.com (David Donley) said:
>
>ddave> I think hard links stink too- they are just a slow crummy way
>ddave> of doing alias...
>
>Excuse me?  Hard links have other uses than to multiname executables.
>"alias" is shell-specific anyhow, and using a hard link is guaranteed
>to be faster.  Hard links have their uses, but won't easily fit into
>AmigaDOS as it is.
>
>Deven
>--
>Deven T. Corzine        Internet:  deven@rpi.edu, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
>Snail:  2214 12th Street, Troy, NY 12180       Phone:  (518) 271-0750
>Bitnet:  deven@rpitsmts, userfxb6@rpitsmts     UUCP:  uunet!rpi!deven
>Simple things should be simple and complex things should be possible.

If hard links are faster than aliases, you will get a package with $1000 in
it.

C.O.D.
:-)

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (09/09/89)

On 8 Sep 89 03:40:25 GMT, ddave@pnet02.gryphon.com (David Donley) said:

ddave> If hard links are faster than aliases, you will get a package
ddave> with $1000 in it.

Your original statements and replies to followups are a convincing
testimony that you don't understand the purposes of hard links, soft
links, and the relation to aliases.  (which is slim.)  Aliases are a
command substitution, links make multiple pathnames refer to the same
file.  The functions are completely different, performed at a
different level, and have different, only somewhat overlapping, uses.
For example, normally compress and uncompress are the same executable
file, linked.  But they are, as someone else mentioned, universal.
Aliases are part of a user's environment.  Moreover, using an alias
for uncompress to point to compress would not WORK.  When
compress/uncompress runs, it checks it's executable name, and if it
was done with an alias, the name would be "compress".  If a link,
"uncompress".  See a difference?

Deven
--
Deven T. Corzine        Internet:  deven@rpi.edu, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
Snail:  2151 12th St. Apt. 4, Troy, NY 12180   Phone:  (---) --none--

ddave@pnet02.gryphon.com (David Donley) (09/14/89)

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) writes:

>On 8 Sep 89 03:40:25 GMT, ddave@pnet02.gryphon.com (David Donley) said:
>
>ddave> If hard links are faster than aliases, you will get a package
>ddave> with $1000 in it.
>
>Your original statements and replies to followups are a convincing
>testimony that you don't understand the purposes of hard links, soft
>links, and the relation to aliases.  (which is slim.)  Aliases are a
>command substitution, links make multiple pathnames refer to the same
>file.  The functions are completely different, performed at a
>different level, and have different, only somewhat overlapping, uses.
>For example, normally compress and uncompress are the same executable
>file, linked.  But they are, as someone else mentioned, universal.
>Aliases are part of a user's environment.  Moreover, using an alias
>for uncompress to point to compress would not WORK.  When
>compress/uncompress runs, it checks it's executable name, and if it
>was done with an alias, the name would be "compress".  If a link,
>"uncompress".  See a difference?
>
>Deven
>--
>Deven T. Corzine        Internet:  deven@rpi.edu, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
>Snail:  2151 12th St. Apt. 4, Troy, NY 12180   Phone:  (---) --none--
>Bitnet:  deven@rpitsmts, userfxb6@rpitsmts     UUCP:  uunet!rpi!deven
>Simple things should be simple and complex things should be possible.

As I said before, I KNOW what aliases and soft links and hard links are.  If
you don't think I'm telling the truth, perhaps you arn't reading my messages.
Further comments on this subject should be directed to private mail at
ddave@pnet02.gryphon.com.

ddave@pnet02.gryphon.com (David Donley) (09/14/89)

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) writes:

>On 8 Sep 89 03:40:25 GMT, ddave@pnet02.gryphon.com (David Donley) said:
>
>ddave> If hard links are faster than aliases, you will get a package
>ddave> with $1000 in it.
>
>Your original statements and replies to followups are a convincing
>testimony that you don't understand the purposes of hard links, soft
>links, and the relation to aliases.  (which is slim.)  Aliases are a
>command substitution, links make multiple pathnames refer to the same
>file.  The functions are completely different, performed at a
>different level, and have different, only somewhat overlapping, uses.
>For example, normally compress and uncompress are the same executable
>file, linked.  But they are, as someone else mentioned, universal.
>Aliases are part of a user's environment.  Moreover, using an alias
>for uncompress to point to compress would not WORK.  When
>compress/uncompress runs, it checks it's executable name, and if it
>was done with an alias, the name would be "compress".  If a link,
>"uncompress".  See a difference?
>
>Deven
>--
>Deven T. Corzine        Internet:  deven@rpi.edu, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
>Snail:  2151 12th St. Apt. 4, Troy, NY 12180   Phone:  (---) --none--
>Bitnet:  deven@rpitsmts, userfxb6@rpitsmts     UUCP:  uunet!rpi!deven
>Simple things should be simple and complex things should be possible.

If I don't understand links, that's my problem not yours.  You have a serious
problem.  When you don't understand somebody's ideas, you tell them things
they already know.  If you REALLY are trying to be informative, don't be
nasty, or send mail.  This is the .tech conference, not an neantherthal
yell-out.

-----
Mail to ddave@pnet02.gryphon.com

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (09/15/89)

On 14 Sep 89 04:40:28 GMT, ddave@pnet02.gryphon.com (David Donley) said:

ddave> If I don't understand links, that's my problem not yours.  You
ddave> have a serious problem.  When you don't understand somebody's
ddave> ideas, you tell them things they already know.  If you REALLY
ddave> are trying to be informative, don't be nasty, or send mail.
ddave> This is the .tech conference, not an neantherthal yell-out.

Saying that hard links are useless because aliases are faster is
simple misinformation.  Not only is it untrue, but links and aliases
serve different purposes.  If you wish to be confused by this point,
that is your business, but I contest redistribution of misinformation.

Deven