[comp.sys.amiga.tech] 1.3 AUX: Device

txm2744%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (09/13/89)

This question is in regard to the 1.3 AUX: device and serial communication.

I have my roomates and my Amiga connected with a NULL modem serial cable.
I can do file transfers using a terminal program with no problem.  I can't,
however, get the AUX: device to work.  Has anyone played around with this???

Thomas A. Mikalsen			"Dig me ... But don't bury me."
Rochester Institute of Technology

ejkst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) (09/18/89)

In article <1285@cs.rit.edu> txm2744%ucss@cs.rit.edu (Thomas A. Mikalsen) writes:
>I have my roomates and my Amiga connected with a NULL modem serial cable.
>I can do file transfers using a terminal program with no problem.  I can't,
>however, get the AUX: device to work.  Has anyone played around with this???

I use AUX: occasionally, with a vt240 terminal and null modem.  It's the
same null modem cable that I used when connecting two computers (Amiga
and IBM) earlier.

I mount aux: in my startup-sequence.  (Doesn't take more than a few
bytes until AUX: is accessed, then the driver is loaded.)  My
mountlist entry looks like

#

 AUX:   Handler = L:Aux-Handler
	Priority = 5
#

Make sure that the remote "terminal"  (The terminal program on the
"remote" amiga) is set to the same baud, parity, bits, and stop bits as
your Preferences serial settings on the host amiga.  Then "newcli aux:"
should open a cli on the remote amiga.

If you use 9600 baud, then the remote terminal is automatically
configured to run ROM-Wack if you need to do debugging.  I can't seem
to run reliably any faster than 9600, plus the vt240 isn't fast enough
anyway;  so I use 9600 baud.  If you're having trouble getting it to
work, gear down to 300 baud, it's much more forgiving about parity,
etc.

Hope this helps.

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cis.unix.pitt.edu

pa1158@sdcc13.ucsd.EDU (pa1158) (09/22/89)

In article <1285@cs.rit.edu> txm2744%ucss@cs.rit.edu (Thomas A. Mikalsen) writes:
>This question is in regard to the 1.3 AUX: device and serial communication.
>
>I have my roomates and my Amiga connected with a NULL modem serial cable.
>I can do file transfers using a terminal program with no problem.  I can't,
>however, get the AUX: device to work.  Has anyone played around with this???

  Yeah you need to select which computer will be the host machine
and which will be the sender.  Have your friend run a terminal on
his machine and make sure you set the baud rates.  On you machine
Match your baud rates with his by editing Preferences SERIAL.  Then
Issue the MOUNT AUX:.   Now execute a NEWSHELL AUX: or NEWCLI AUX:
on your cli or shell window.  On the terminal AMIGA your friend
should see a NEWSHELL> or 1> (for NEWCLI) prompt.  He can now
access your machine as if he was using a CLI thru the terminal
software.
                            Good luck.

                                              Viet Ho