[comp.sys.amiga.tech] How do I do a Seek using hddisk.device??

rickf@pnet02.gryphon.com (Rick Flower) (09/21/89)

I'm looking to write a nice little hard drive part routine and was reading
through the include files (1.3) and I'll assume that I want to use the
"scsidisk.i" file and not the "hardblocks.i".. It makes it sound like you talk
through the hddisk.device which interprets commands into either ST-506
commands OR SCSI commands ?!?  By the way, I'm using a 2090 controller with an
ST-506 drive.. What I'd really like to do is be able to read the boot-block
where the (oops, I meant root-block) information is stored that holds where to
park the drive heads, etc..  Can anyone help me??  I don't really think that
it should be any big deal for the most part..

|             Caution, 68k Assembly Language Programmer at Play!              |
|              Support S.A.N.E. (Snails Against Nuclear Energy)               |
|             UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!rickf             |
|         InterNet: rickf@pnet02.gryphon.com                                  |
+=============================================================================+

In article <20108@gryphon.COM> rickf@pnet02.gryphon.com (Rick Flower) writes:
>I'm looking to write a nice little hard drive part routine and was reading
>through the include files (1.3) and I'll assume that I want to use the
>"scsidisk.i" file and not the "hardblocks.i".. It makes it sound like you talk
>through the hddisk.device which interprets commands into either ST-506
>commands OR SCSI commands ?!?  By the way, I'm using a 2090 controller with an
>ST-506 drive.. What I'd really like to do is be able to read the boot-block
>where the (oops, I meant root-block) information is stored that holds where to
>park the drive heads, etc..  Can anyone help me??  I don't really think that
>it should be any big deal for the most part..

	Welllll,,, it'll work with the A590, A2091, GVP, Hardframe, and a few
others, but it probably won't work well on the A2090 (until we redo the driver).
It does have some sort of scsidisk support, but (for example) I believe it's
impossible to get error returns.  It probably doesn't support some of the
other scsidisk stuff, either.  You can try, and it may work well enough for
your purposes, but I'd advise backing up your disk before doing so for safety.

The A2090 was designed long before the scsidisk standard was standardized (ditto
for RigidDiskBlocks (hardblocks.h).

As for the boot info on the disk, we have not published it's format anywhere,
though I suspect you could figure it out, mostly.  When we redo the driver
(from ground up) it'll switch to RigidDiskBlocks (we encourage ALL hd
controller manufacturers to switch).

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"

stan@teroach.UUCP (Stan Fisher) (09/22/89)

In article <7968@cbmvax.UUCP> jesup@cbmvax.UUCP (Randell Jesup) writes:
>In article <20108@gryphon.COM> rickf@pnet02.gryphon.com (Rick Flower) writes:
>>I'm looking to write a nice little hard drive part routine and was reading

                            **stuff deleted**

>	Welllll,,, it'll work with the A590, A2091, GVP, Hardframe, and a few
>others, but it probably won't work well on the A2090 (until we redo the driver)
                                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                          **more stuff deleted***

>The A2090 was designed long before the scsidisk standard was standardized
>(ditto for RigidDiskBlocks (hardblocks.h).
>
>As for the boot info on the disk, we have not published it's format anywhere,
>though I suspect you could figure it out, mostly.  When we redo the driver
                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>(from ground up) it'll switch to RigidDiskBlocks (we encourage ALL hd
>controller manufacturers to switch).
>--
>Randell Jesup, Keeper of AmigaDos, Commodore Engineering.
>{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
>Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"

When...? Until....?  PLEASE HURRY!  I keep hearing that the A2090A will get
a new driver to handle SCSI direct (which I think it needs DESPARATELY!)
Do I understand that "WHEN" this occurs the 2090 will also support
hardblocks?  That would be FANTASTIC!  Commodore....  If you do all this for
the 2090A...  I'll take back all those things I said about you. ;^D
Actually I've been somewhat (read extremely) depressed that, by the time
all was said and done,  I was going to have owned every single 209Xx
Controller you guys have/will release(d), just to get a real good one that
does everything it should.  I took a loss going from 2090 to 2090a, I
really didn't want to have to bend over again for the 2091.
So... Tell me..  When do you guys think such an update will be available?
Will the update be both firmware AND software?  I wanta hook up a streamer
soooooooooo bad.  8^}

  Stan Fisher -  stan@teroach.phx.mcd.mot.com -  asuvax!mcdphx!teroach!stan
  Motorola Microcomputer Division, Tempe, Arizona   -  Voice (602) 438-3228
  Call our User Group BBS "M.E.C.C.A." running Atredes 1.1 @ (602) 893-0804