[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Extending Amiga RGB Video

ssd@sugar.hackercorp.com (Scott Denham) (09/22/89)

Has anybody had any experience with extending the RGB output of an
Amiga a signifigant distance?  I've got this terrific 27" Sony
NTSC/PAL/SECAM monitor in my den that I'd love to be able to show off
some of the Amiga's capabilities on.  Trouble is it's about 25' away
from the "computer room", and neither the TV or the Amiga is eligible
for relocation... Are the levels on the RGB output such that they would
survive a 35-40' length of coax in there?  If not, could some sort of
buffer amplifier be used, and if so where might I find a description
(preferrably a schematic) of such a beast. Finally, what sort of
characteristics would the coax need to have ???

      Scott Denham
       Houston, TX

hutch@fps.com (Jim Hutchison) (09/22/89)

In <4186@sugar.hackercorp.com> ssd@sugar.hackercorp.com (Scott Denham) writes:
>Has anybody had any experience with extending the RGB output of an
>Amiga a signifigant distance?  I've got this terrific 27" Sony
>NTSC/PAL/SECAM monitor in my den [...]

Sure do.  Last summer when Rich (rich@net1.ucsd.edu) and I were making some
cheap & sleazy graphics for a low budget film production in LA, I did this
quite often.  About 50' I'd estimate, along a 10' wall, hook at the corner,
along another 10', out the door & down the hall 10', across the livingroom
(another 15' atleast), and into the back of the VCR.  From there it was
recorded and/or displayed on the TV.  Note that if you don't have a good
ground on your Amiga you will get some current flow, so be careful how you
plug in the connector.  My Amiga *was* not so well grounded at the time,
and I got shocked (low voltage) once or twice.  If you get a good quality
coax and properly connect the shield, you should be able to make it to the
den with little or no noticeable image degradation.  I seem to recall that
when I had poor shielding, (shield broke loose) we got some major ghosting.
If the image looks bad, check your cables.

Ofcourse for the final 3/4" recording, I did move my Amiga next to the deck,
so I can't offer you any experiences there.

/*    Jim Hutchison   		{dcdwest,ucbvax}!ucsd!celerity!hutch  */
/*    Disclaimer:  I am not an official spokesman for FPS computing   */