[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Multiple sets of custom chips

filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) (09/17/89)

In article <752@jc3b21.UUCP> Fabbian G. Dufoe writes:
>     Has anyone looked at using multiple sets of the custom chips mapped to
>different addresses in order to achieve (1) more CHIP RAM while (2)
>retaining compatibility with the original Amiga design and (3) making the
>CHIP RAM address space infinitely expandable?
This might also (4) allow multi-user operation with full Amiga capabilities
(graphics, windowing, sound, etc.)  I wondered aloud about this at some of
the first few BADGE meetings but never heard much opinion on the idea
besides "One user One machine".  Personally I'd rather have my own machine
but there are applications that for one reason or another (most likely having
to do with politics or funding) require multiuser machines.  This would be a
good feature for the Amiga to have.

Come to think of it, I could use it on my machine.  90% of the time it's no
problem, but there have been occasions when a friend wanted to use the
machine at the same time as me.  I've got a junky old composite color
monitor; if I could add an extra chipset, keyboard and mouse for $300 I'd
consider it.

Bela Lubkin     * *   filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us   CIS: 73047,1112
     @        * *     ...ucbvax!ucscc!gorn!filbo    ^^^  REALLY slow [months]
R Pentomino     *     Filbo @ Pyrzqxgl (408) 476-4633 & XBBS (408) 476-4945

rsbx@cbmvax.UUCP (Raymond S. Brand) (09/18/89)

In article <31.filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us>, filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) writes:

[....]

> monitor; if I could add an extra chipset, keyboard and mouse for $300 I'd
> consider it.

Why don't you add a, possibly used, A500 of A1000?

					rsbx

filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) (09/18/89)

In article <7934@cbmvax.UUCP> Raymond S. Brand writes:
>In article <31.filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us>, filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) writes:
>> monitor; if I could add an extra chipset, keyboard and mouse for $300 I'd
>> consider it.
>Why don't you add a, possibly used, A500 of A1000?
And more memory and another hard drive, and possibly second copies of a lot
of software, to satisfy the license agreements?  No, for a 10-15% duty cycle
(if that much) I'd much rather use one machine, multiuser.  Anyway, two users
on a LUCAS/FRANCES Amiga ought to get better individual performance than two
on plain Amigas.  (Assuming I do the LUCAS/FRANCES hack, which I'm strongly
considering...)

Bela Lubkin     * *   filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us   CIS: 73047,1112
     @        * *     ...ucbvax!ucscc!gorn!filbo    ^^^  REALLY slow [months]
R Pentomino     *     Filbo @ Pyrzqxgl (408) 476-4633 & XBBS (408) 476-4945

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (09/23/89)

Could we have a Hardware Guru comment on the idea of multiple chipsets
handling larger display screens?  I don't see how it would work since
each set would have to run in the same memory(you think you've got
memory contention now!  Wait till your processor and _4_ chip sets are
accessing the *same* memory!!!)  But maybe with some custom magic there
is a way to make it work and make it work sooner than a complete new
design.

How 'bout it, Mr. HG?  Whaddaya think?

Dana