[comp.sys.amiga.tech] AmigaBASIC Problems...

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (09/25/89)

While running macsounds2amy (converts the data fork of Mac 8-bit sound
files to Amiga 8SVX sound format) by:
AmigaBASIC macsounds2amy
The system crashed, I got a guru #00000004-00C45068
When I tried to run AmigaBASIC again, I got this: (^J is control-j (a
reversed-text capital J):
Commodore Amiga BASIC^JVersion 1.2 ^JCreated 6 Oct 1986^J Copyright (c) 1985,1

After that, the rest was off the right side of the screen.
The program won't run correctly - it looks like the control characters aren't
being interpreted...

Could anyone out there help me with this problem?

--
| husc6!m2c!wpi!jdutka | "No matter how big a straw, you can't suck water up |
| jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu   |  more than 34 feet."                                |

bartonr@jove.cs.pdx.edu (Robert Barton) (09/26/89)

 jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) writes:
> After that, the rest was off the right side of the screen.
> Could anyone out there help me with this problem?

  I have this happen to me on occasion for no apparent reason.  Everything
printed to the output window comes out on one line.  The only solution I've
found is to go back to my original Extras disk and make a new copy of
AmigaBASIC from the original one there.

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (09/26/89)

While we are on the subject of AmigaBasic...
I just have to say how good HiSoft Professional Basic is.  It is FAST and
has a editor/compiler environment together.  While the editor isn't
the best in the world, it isn't too shabby either.  You can create code
on your own editor and compile the file if you like.  (I wish there was an
AREXX port in the compiler though.  It is actually stand alone)

But the best thing is... I've been very surprised and happy with Michtron's
support and efficiency in customer support.  There have been two upgrades
sinceI first bought the basic.  Each time you simply send in the master disks
and $5.  Each time, the upgrades have shown up in under 6 days (MI. to IL.).
This las time, I forgot to include the second disk.  They sent a note
telling me so, but included a second disk to keep from making me wait!!

If you want to program in AmigaBasic, but want speed and efficiency- get HiSoft
Basic for sure.

Joel

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (09/26/89)

In article <1740@psueea.UUCP> bartonr@jove.cs.pdx.edu (Robert Barton) writes:
>  I have this happen to me on occasion for no apparent reason.  Everything
>printed to the output window comes out on one line.  The only solution I've
>found is to go back to my original Extras disk and make a new copy of
>AmigaBASIC from the original one there.

I did that - no luck.

--

pnelson@hobbes.uucp (Phil Nelson) (09/28/89)

In article <1599@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> swan@jolnet.UUCP (Joel Swan) writes:
>While we are on the subject of AmigaBasic...
>I just have to say how good HiSoft Professional Basic is.  It is FAST and

 So, there is the answer to AmigaBASIC problems: get a compiler! :-)

I use the Absoft compiler, it is older and maybe not as nice as the HiSoft,
but I haven't had any problems with the upgraded version (I forgot what
version I have, but it fixed the bugs in the original release).

I am looking for a compiler that is closer to QuickBASIC 4.0 (or 4.5), to
port a medium sized MS-DOS program. The last time I looked, the HiSoft
compiler was compatible with QuickBASIC 3.0. I need some of the features
of 4.0, like fully recursive subroutines, proper functions, and the new
binary file mode.

Does anyone know if there is (or is about to be) a compiler that will
support these?

>Joel

Phil Nelson at (but not speaking for)                  OnTyme:NSC.P/Nelson
Tymnet, ?McDonnell Douglas? Network Systems Company     Voice:408-922-7508
UUCP:{pyramid|ames}oliveb!tymix!pnelson              LRV:Component Station
"YOUR PASSWORD WAS LAST CHANGED 964 DAYS AGO. IF NOT CHANGED IT WILL BE DELETED SOON!!!" -1022