[comp.sys.amiga.tech] IFF to C util wanted

davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) (09/27/89)

	I am looking for a utility to convert IFF graphics and sound to
C data statements so that I can keep my screens and sound effects
internal to my program. What I am looking for is something similar to
ExtractFont (which will convert a given size font to C data statements),
but for IFF brushes or sampled sounds.
	I have PowerWindows 2.0, but it only appears to convert IFF to
gadgets. I would be willing to buy an upgrade to PW2, or to buy an entirely
new package, but all I really want is something to do conversions. Screen
layout is not needed.
	Any help you can give me on this would be greatly appreciated.
(also any help on dual-playfield and overscan displays)

			Dave

In article <1989Sep27.013532.12517@NCoast.ORG> (David Wright) writes:
>	I am looking for a utility to convert IFF graphics and sound to
>C data statements so that I can keep my screens and sound effects
>internal to my program.

For graphics you have several options, on FishDisk #64 are the IFF
utilities, in particular check out zapicon and ilbmdump. The former
will convert a brush into an icon (which can be decompiled into C
code with Carolyns Icon2C on the 1.3 Extras disk). The latter, will
generate a simple C declaration for the image data. Note two things,
if you don't have my fixes to bmprint.c (there in the 1.3 RKM but the
IFF disk hasn't been rereleased yet) you will have to edit the constants
used in the arrays since they will be incorrect.

For sound stuff I haven't got a clue. Maybe you would whip something up
with the Leo/Stuart iffparse.library.

--Chuck McManis
"If I were driving a Macintosh, I'd have to stop before I could turn the wheel."

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (09/30/89)

In article <1989Sep27.013532.12517@NCoast.ORG> davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) writes:
>	I am looking for a utility to convert IFF graphics and sound to
>C data statements so that I can keep my screens and sound effects
>internal to my program.

I supported this for awhile with my sound stuff; a program turned 8SVX files
into C data declarations and the program knew based on a tag in a structure
whether to load or just reference.  It's used in Workbench Lander, Peter da
Silva's Badge killer demo entry from a couple years ago.

...thing is, it greatly increased link times and the argument that everything
should fit in one file kind of fell apart as the complexity of the applications
increased, so I yanked it.
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl	"There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that
-- 			 flags do not wave in a vacuum."  -- Arthur C. Clarke