[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Disk Drive Alignment

bagpiper@pnet02.gryphon.com (Michael Hunter) (09/29/89)

I recently bought an Amiga 1000 for home n' hacking use.  For the first few
days it worked fine.  But a few days later, after a move, the internal drive
started getting read errors, ect.  Is it common for Amiga disk drives to get
problems like this and what are my options.

                                                Michael

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!bagpiper
INET: bagpiper@pnet02.gryphon.com

dca@toylnd.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) (10/03/89)

In article <20365@gryphon.COM>, bagpiper@pnet02.gryphon.com (Michael Hunter) writes:
> I recently bought an Amiga 1000 for home n' hacking use.  For the first few
> days it worked fine.  But a few days later, after a move, the internal drive
> started getting read errors, ect.  Is it common for Amiga disk drives to get
> problems like this and what are my options.

I don't know how common it is.  One option is 'Ami Alignment System' from
Free Spirit Software (available lots of places).  It comes with a specially
duplicated alignment disk and allows you to coarsely align your drive yourself.
It could also be problems with seating of the cables internal to your 1000.
I had been using my 2000 for quite a while and had noticed that the internal
drive was a little flakey.  I got AMAX and interestingly enough it would boot
off the external 1010 but not the internal drive.  In fact, sticking any disk
in the internal drive caused AMAX to hang.  The drive checked out fine
using the AMI alignment deal.  After much more hair pulling etc.. I happened to
disconnect the cable from the motherboard and re-plug it back in, voila! it
started working.

Though I expect the Ami Alignment System isn't as good as using a real
alignment disk ~$100 and a scope but then it doesn't require any special
equipment.

David Albrecht

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (10/06/89)

[line eater food]

There was a review of one of the disk-type floppy alignment systems in
Amazing(I think).  The conclusion is that a proper alignment is properly
acomplished with a dual trace scope (or equivalent).  But the disk
performs as advertised.  I think they felt it was pretty much a waste of
money nonetheless.

Dana @ cup.portal.com

"leaving a line for the LineEater is a quaint usenet custom..."