[comp.sys.amiga.tech] YAWB1.4 Request

vic.rocha@canremote.uucp (VIC ROCHA) (09/29/89)

I wonder if I'm the only one who would like this!!  Maybe I'm the only
one who regularly uses both Workbench and the Shell!   Could be that
only a few of us have multiple drawers within drawers within drawers!

Have you ever noticed how many windows are open when you're four
sub-dirs deep on your hard drive??  (and how much chip ram -and- cpu
time is used up by -each- one?)  Don't you sometimes get annoyed at
closing them all after you've selected that program??

Don't you wish that maybe, at the least, all the `parent' one's would
close automatically by themselves??

Is it possible that a future Workbench ( 1.4 would probably be wishful
thinking! ) incorporate a toggle or menu option or Preferences option
which an ordinary user (like me) could set, that would automagically
close a parent drawer window whenever a sub from within it is opened?

If not I then who, if not now then when, if not why not?

Vic Rocha........;-)

PS:  How about a utility like QMouse, MachII, Browser or ClockDJ (my
     personal favourite) that would incorporate such an option.  And,
     in case I need a dunce cap, if one already exists that has this,
     direct me/us to it please.
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1aR

thfisher@lion.waterloo.edu (Terry Fisher) (10/02/89)

With a public domain network (NET:) now available, more and more people
will be wanting to hook more than 1 Amiga to a printer.  It would be nice
Preferences allowed you to specify a file name or device other than PAR:
and SER: for the printer device.  This way, you could specify SPOOLER:,
or a file that could copied to another amigas printer.  I know that the
CMD program does this, but it is not as clean as it would be if it were
in preferences.

Sorry to waste bandwidth if this has already been suggested.

Terry Fisher                 thfisher@lion.waterloo.edu
                             thfisher@lion.uwaterloo.ca
                             {...}!watmath!lion!thfisher

pawn@wpi.wpi.edu (Kevin Goroway) (10/03/89)

In article <89092920434622@masnet.uucp> vic.rocha@canremote.uucp (VIC ROCHA) writes:
>Don't you wish that maybe, at the least, all the `parent' one's would
>close automatically by themselves??

This wouldn't be acceptable at all.  A better solution would be to iconify
the windows, freeing the CHIP ram, yet remembering the contents of the window
in FAST ram.

--
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
| Worcester Polytechnic Institute   | "It happens sometimes, people just     |

pds@quintus.UUCP (Peter Schachte) (10/04/89)

In article <4456@wpi.wpi.edu> pawn@wpi.wpi.edu (Kevin Goroway) writes:
>In article <89092920434622@masnet.uucp> vic.rocha@canremote.uucp (VIC ROCHA) writes:
>>Don't you wish that maybe, at the least, all the `parent' one's would
>>close automatically by themselves??
>A better solution would be to iconify the windows

Better still, at least for some uses, would be to put the subdirectory
in the window you've already got, loosing what is currently in it.
Maybe there could be a menu item "open in current window."  This is
vaguely like the difference between pushd and cd (for csh users):  in
one case you keep around info about where you were, in the other you
don't.

Which is not to say that I wouldn't like the ability to iconify windows,
too.

--
-Peter Schachte
pds@quintus.uucp

I'm sure somebody *must* have thought of this one ...

A way to specify an already existing CON: window as a filename.

then you could do
	run something <con0/0/x/y/FRED >con:fred

and something would get all of it IO from the con window titled "fred"

Oh, file redirection should be able to redirect "*", maybe "*>" and "*<"?

REAL NAME: Joe Porkka   porkka@frith.egr.msu.edu

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (10/05/89)

In article <4850@cps3xx.UUCP> porkka@frith.UUCP (Joe Porkka) writes:
>I'm sure somebody *must* have thought of this one ...
>
>A way to specify an already existing CON: window as a filename.
>
>then you could do
>	run something <con0/0/x/y/FRED >con:fred

Yes, yes, put the file back into the filehandler!!
	(Folks, this would be immensely useful)
Perhaps the only problem is having >1 write_filehandles to a single 'file'?
>Oh, file redirection should be able to redirect "*", maybe "*>" and "*<"?

Less useful, but still interesting.  I like Conman's 'back-door' input
entry as well...
>REAL NAME: Joe Porkka   porkka@frith.egr.msu.edu

David Navas
navas@cory.berkeley.edu
Some people think I make up my own terminology -- they're right!!  So nobody
can blame this University for *anything* I say...  :-)

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (10/06/89)

[line eater food]

My comment on the idea that closing the parent window should close all
the children.

			NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!

What we need is TWO close gadgets:
	1) close this window
	2) close this window and all my children

It is very handy to keep just the sub-directory window open!  But for

			*real*

usefullness, use the PD program MyMenu which allows you to put your
favorite programs in pull-down menus on the workbench menu bar.  You
can specity volumes and paths, too!!!

How about it.  Anybody else like the idea of two close gadgets?

Dana @ cup.portal.com

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (10/08/89)

From article <22822@cup.portal.com>, by FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois):
> [line eater food]
>
> My comment on the idea that closing the parent window should close all
> the children.
>
> 			NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!
>
> What we need is TWO close gadgets:
> 	1) close this window
> 	2) close this window and all my children

     I just learned that you can close all open desktop windows on the
Macintosh by holding down the option key and clicking any window's close
gadget.  How about using a similar approach to close all children when you
close a parent window?  Since the left Amiga key already has a function,
what key could you use?

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705