[comp.sys.amiga.tech] DNET V2.0

nozzle@nadia.UUCP (Daniel Schwager) (10/08/89)

Have somebody the PD-program DNET V2.0 or greater ??? And if so, can
this person post it to comp.source.amiga ???

						Thanks a lot

							Greets
								Nozzle

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (10/10/89)

In article <579@nadia.UUCP> nozzle@nadia.UUCP (Daniel Schwager) writes:
   Have somebody the PD-program DNET V2.0 or greater ???

Umm, in the README:
	``DNET (c)Copyright 1987-1989 Matthew Dillon, All Rights Reserved''

However, I think the ``All Rights Reserved'' is bogus since Matt
distributes this on BIX and via FTP. ...

The current version (that I'm aware of) is 2.02L.  However, it has
some minor problems (mostly documentation problems), and Matt is about
to release a new version soon.

> And if so, can this person post it to comp.source.amiga ???

...and Matt will (I think) send it to Bob for posting in
comp.sources.amiga.  An older version appeared there in late April (if
you have access to an archive site).

Patience.

	...tad

In article <TADGUY.89Oct9130935@aethelbehrt.cs.odu.edu> tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) writes:
>Umm, in the README:
>	``DNET (c)Copyright 1987-1989 Matthew Dillon, All Rights Reserved''
>
>However, I think the ``All Rights Reserved'' is bogus since Matt
>distributes this on BIX and via FTP. ...

Why should it be bogus? ``All Rights Reserved'' is the standard phrase
used for retaining copyrights in South American countries.  Distribution
has nothing to do with retaining or relinquishing copyrights.   One can
`distribute' software over a public network, such as bix and through FTP,
and still mantain full copyright on it. For example, the entire  X Window
System is available for FTP access, though copyrighted by MIT.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
"There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Diga and Caligari!" -- Rick Unland

In article <20395@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
   In article <TADGUY.89Oct9130935@aethelbehrt.cs.odu.edu> tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) writes:
   >Umm, in the README:
   >	``DNET (c)Copyright 1987-1989 Matthew Dillon, All Rights Reserved''
   >
   >However, I think the ``All Rights Reserved'' is bogus since Matt
   >distributes this on BIX and via FTP. ...

   Why should it be bogus? ``All Rights Reserved'' is the standard phrase
   used for retaining copyrights in South American countries.

``All Rights Reserved'' causes all actions with the item copyrighted
to be under the discretion of the author.  Rights are granted to
others through more phrasing, such as that used by MIT for the X
Window System, will allows distribution, etc.  This release of DNet
had no distribution phrasing, so the plain ``All Rights Reserved''
takes effect.

   Distribution has nothing to do with retaining or relinquishing
   copyrights.  One can `distribute' software over a public network,
   such as bix and through FTP, and still mantain full copyright on
   it.

Yes, except that's not what's happening above.  My intention was *not*
to say Matt no longer has a copyright on DNet, but that the ``All
Rights Reserved'' is probably in error or needs clarifying phrasing,
since he encourages its distribution.

However, my point in the above to the original poster is that DNet is
not public domain (as the original requestor suggested), not the
validity of the copyright Matt uses.  I suggest that Matt be more
specific in his copyright.

Of course, I may be totally wrong.
I can't find the copyright manual I had read a while back (and the one
I did find didn't support or deny any of the above...)

	...tad