[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Broke A1000

collins@pnet02.gryphon.com (Steven Collins) (10/10/89)

A friend of mine has been having problems with his A1000 having read errors
on DF0:. We figured it was a drive problem and opened the A1000 and blew
the dust out of the drive and wiggled a few chips. Afterwards the A1000
wouldn't even boot. The screen goes black as usual and then white like
it does just before the kickstart hand comes up, but then hangs.
The drive light comes on and the drive spins, but it never gronks looking
for the kickstart disk. We are not sure if the little song plays or not...
I don't remember hearing it , but I might have had the volume down...
I tried swaping the 8520 chips but there was no change in symptoms. We
also tried swapping in the external drive, but everything behaved just like
before.
THE QUESTION:
What is going on during this portion of the boot sequence? Does it indicate
the seat of a possible problem?

Are there any simple tests I can do with a logic probe or scope to pin
down the problem further?

Are any hardware debugging and repair docs available from CATS? I have the
june 9 86 rev of the hardware and expansion specs, but it provides only
a schematic...

Any one have any other ideas? I have been hyping the AMIGA to my friend
for months and he finally went out and spent his last dime to buy one.
Now he's bummed and I want to get him hacking again before he does
somthing drastic...

                         thanks in advance from both of us
                                   steve collins

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!collins
INET: collins@pnet02.gryphon.com

In article <20785@gryphon.COM> collins@pnet02.gryphon.com (Steven Collins) writes:
>A friend of mine has been having problems with his A1000 having read errors
>on DF0:. We figured it was a drive problem and opened the A1000 and blew
>the dust out of the drive and wiggled a few chips. Afterwards the A1000
>wouldn't even boot. The screen goes black as usual and then white like
>it does just before the kickstart hand comes up, but then hangs.
>The drive light comes on and the drive spins, but it never gronks looking
>for the kickstart disk. We are not sure if the little song plays or not...

	Sounds almost like the connector to the drive is flipped (usual
symptom: drive spins continuosly.)  I'd suspect something involving the
drive connections (they could be loose at one end or the other), or maybe
you shorted something in putting the RF sheild back on.  (I'm a software
guy, so take these with a grain of salt.)

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"