[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Closing all windows

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (10/09/89)

In article <770@jc3b21.UUCP> fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) writes:
:     I just learned that you can close all open desktop windows on the
:Macintosh by holding down the option key and clicking any window's close
:gadget.  How about using a similar approach to close all children when you
:close a parent window?  Since the left Amiga key already has a function,
:what key could you use?
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think I know what you meant, although it was not spelled out explicitly.

The left-Amiga+left-mousebutton combination does not currently have a
function.  It could be used, except that it would not work with the keyboard
equivalent of left-mousebutton, which is alt+left-Amiga.  However, the
original Macs used the option key as a substitute for the control key, so we
could do the inverse.  Clicking control+left-mousebutton or
control+alt+left-Amiga in the window's close gadget to close that window and
all its sub-windows.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (10/09/89)

In article <675@tardis.Tymnet.COM> jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:
)In article <770@jc3b21.UUCP> fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) writes:
)  Since the left Amiga key already has a function,
):what key could you use?
)                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
)I think I know what you meant, although it was not spelled out explicitly.
)
)The left-Amiga+left-mousebutton combination does not currently have a
)function.

Plans for V1.4 have left-Amiga-click to be a screen-drag-grab.
This could be changed, perhaps, to be overridden if you click on a gadget.

Also, it might need change if there are compatibility problems, but ...

)It could be used, except that it would not work with the keyboard
)equivalent of left-mousebutton, which is alt+left-Amiga.

... this is the argument that I have for "no compatibility problems:"
    If a program uses left-amiga-click, it doesn't work keyboard only,
    which is a cosmic no-no or something.

This rather lame argument is a warm up for a retroactive declaration
that the left-amiga modifiers belong to "The System" and that applications
should use the right Amiga key or something else entirely.

Oh, wait: I am The System.  It would certainly be in the realm of
possibility to use left-Amiga-Click on a close gadget to propagate
a CLOSEWINDOW message to every window which has a close gadget.

And, why did you want that?

Note that V1.4 public screens will clear up some of the confusion
of "uninvited screen visitor windows"  If they also demonstrate a need for
new features like "rapid close-'em-all", those features will be considered.

It's not in the cards to toss in every cool idea that we can think of,
though, so there will need to be some choices made.

	jimm

--
Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing	   	"... the signs are very ominous,
{cbmvax,well,oliveb}!amiga!jimm          and a chill wind blows."

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (10/10/89)

[line eater food]

Jim:

Instead of another special key combo to remember, I still like the
idea of having two close gadgets.  Word perfect added another gadget
to their window which is a neat idea and I don't see why (if you like
the idea of another gadget to do the job) another default gadget
couldn't be added to the system code.  Just like setting a flag adds
the current close gadget, a different flag (same flag?) would add this
gadget.  It could look like two close gadgets, one in front of the
other ( like the screento-back/screen-to-front gadgets).

I am not a fan of shifted mouse clicks and alt-key mouse clicks, etc.
Do it the straight-forward way and make it a standard gadget or don't
bother.

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com

Of course I'm opinionated.  Isn't everyone?

nsw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Neil Weinstock) (10/11/89)

In article <22944@cup.portal.com> FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) writes:
>Instead of another special key combo to remember, I still like the
>idea of having two close gadgets.  Word perfect added another gadget
>to their window which is a neat idea and I don't see why (if you like
>the idea of another gadget to do the job) another default gadget
>couldn't be added to the system code.  Just like setting a flag adds
>the current close gadget, a different flag (same flag?) would add this
>gadget.  It could look like two close gadgets, one in front of the
>other ( like the screento-back/screen-to-front gadgets).

I vote no, as this would seem to violate the (my) philosophy of when to add
a new system gadget.  I don't think that closing "parent" windows is something
that people would want to do that often, and arguably the Workbench is the
only place it would be useful (and I mean the real Workbench windows, not
private applications using the workbench screen).  In any case, it doesn't
seem worth the clutter to add such an esoteric function.  After all, we'll
probably be getting (I hope) an iconify system gadget in 1.4, we don't
want to overrun the window with system gadgets for every little thing.
From a philosophical standpoint (again) it seems like close parent windows
really is a modification of the standard close operation, and therefore
a key combination would be appropriate.

    ________________    __________________    ____________________________
////                \\//                  \\//                            \\\\
\\\\ Neil Weinstock //\\ att!cord!nsw  or //\\ "Oh dear, now I shall have ////
//// AT&T Bell Labs \\// nsw@cord.att.com \\//  to create more Martians." \\\\
\\\\________________//\\__________________//\\____________________________////

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (10/12/89)

[line eater food]

Here is my real point:

don't change the operation of the current close gadget (which was the
original request way back when).

It's OK with me if you add a key combo to close all windows or all
children or whatever.  I'll probably just not use it.  But I do use
the *feature* of being able to close parent windows and leave the child.
I do it all the time because it reduces clutter on the screen.  My
druthers would be to have another close gadget rather than have a key
combo but having another gadget is not something I would fight for.  If
you say it is not-a-good idea and bad philosophically well then we won't
do it, OK?  :)

Dana @ cup.portal.com

Peace in our time, that's what I'm fighting for.