[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Motherboard upgrades

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (10/12/89)

I have a 4.x motherboard and I would love to bring it up to 6.2
standings (1meg agnus, all the resistors cut or added, etc).  I also
have a "Cherry" keyboard, and I'd love to have it's problems "clipped"
(so to speak).

I would also like to find a service center in my local area that I
could make an appointment with, and have them do all that stuff in a
day or two.  I'd be willing to pay a reasonable price, if it's going
to be done correctly and if they really know all the little things
that have to be done.

Do service centers do this?
Would a service center know all those little hardware "bugfixes" as
published in an article a week ago?
Can anyone recommend a place near Morristown, New Jersey (north
jersey/morris county)?
(Anyone live in the area and would like to do it for a case of beer? :-)

-Tom
--
Drew University   -- Tom Limoncelli
C M Box 1060      -- limonce@pilot.njin.net

easton@aucis.UUCP (Jeff Easton) (10/12/89)

In article <Oct.12.00.31.15.1989.109@pilot.njin.net>, limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
> I have a 4.x motherboard and I would love to bring it up to 6.2
> standings (1meg agnus, all the resistors cut or added, etc).  I also
> have a "Cherry" keyboard, and I'd love to have it's problems "clipped"
> (so to speak).

  I had a peek inside a rev. 6.x motherboard at a trade show recently.
What I thought I saw (dimly lit room ;-) was a whole new motherboard,
relaid out from the 4.x motherboards.  I even thought I saw that the
memory section was using 1Mx4 DRAMS instead of the 256Kx1 DRAMS used
in my rev. 4.3 board.
  If this is the case, getting your 4.x board to a 6.x board would
be a board swap, not just adding a few cuts and jumpers.

  Maybe Dave could comment on if the board was indeed relaid out.

  Personally, I'm waiting for the 68030 motherboard swap. ;-) ;-) ;-)

> -Tom

Jeff Easton		UUCP: !mailrus!sharkey!aucis!easton
Zenith Data Systems	OEM Engineering

No, I dont know any more about future '030 Amiga systems than the
next guy, in fact, I proabably know less. ;-)

In article <Oct.12.00.31.15.1989.109@pilot.njin.net> limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
> I have a 4.x motherboard and I would love to bring it up to 6.2
> standings (1meg agnus, all the resistors cut or added, etc).  I also
> have a "Cherry" keyboard, and I'd love to have it's problems "clipped"
> (so to speak).

4.x mother boards can't be upgraded to 6.x, since it's an entirely
different PCB.  The service centers have a summary of all applicable
changes to 4.x boards, beyond that you'd have to pay for a board
swap.