[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Broke A1000exit Followup

bagpiper@pnet02.gryphon.com (Michael Hunter) (10/13/89)

mdinn@ac.dal.ca writes:

>>>A friend of mine has been having problems with his A1000 having read errors
I was the person with the busted drive and it turned out to be a busted trace
by one of the PALs. My buddy was able to solder a hack (I'm only a software
person) to bridge the break.
But I am still left with the original reason we were playing around inside the
box, and that is read/write errors that start 5 to 10 minutes after boot.
This sounds thermal to me...anybody got any clues.
>>>on DF0:.
>> 	Sounds almost like the connector to the drive is flipped (usual
>> symptom: drive spins continuosly.)  I'd suspect something involving the
>> drive connections (they could be loose at one end or the other).
>
>I have the same problem with my A1000 - I think the read-write head is loose or
>something as it is an intermittent problem. It sounds "rattley" more than
>anything else. Anyone know where to get a replacement internal for the A1000?
My problem is much like mdinn is mentioning, except that once it starts acting
up I as best off to turn the power off and walk away for 1/2 and hour or so.

                                Thank you for any help,
                                                Michael

ps. Ahh, one more question.  I have a commodore external drive...can I just
switch that for the internal drive.  We took the external drive apart and it
looked exactly like the internal drive.

Mike Hunter - Box's and CPU's from HELL: iapx80[012]86, PR1ME 50 Series, 1750a
UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!bagpiper
INET: bagpiper@pnet02.gryphon.com