[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Blink 6.7 bug?

a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (10/01/89)

In article <89273.181019CJC105@PSUVM.BITNET> CJC105@PSUVM.BITNET (Chris Conrad)
writes:

>Blink version 6.7 doesn't seem to set the MEMF_CHIP flag correctly. Has
>anyone else had this problem?  I am compiling with Mr. Gibbs a68k assembler.
>Is there a newer version of blink?  When I link with 'alink' everything works
>fine.

"The fault, dear Brutus, lies not in the stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings."  -- Shakespeare, Julius Caesar

Blink is OK.  The problem is in A68k.  By misreading some easily-misread
documentation in the AmigaDOS Technical Reference Manual, I had A68k put
the MEMF_CHIP and MEMF_FAST bits in the wrong place.  Version 2.5 corrects
this problem.  I'm not sure whether version 2.5 made it out onto
comp.{sources|binaries}.amiga or not, but if you really want it you can
send me a disk and I'll return it with the new version.  I hope to start
on version 2.6 Real Soon Now, adding forward branch optimization and an
ARexx inteface to your favourite editor for error handling.

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
2121 Rindall Avenue
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Canada
V3C 1T9
Official supplier of assemblers to the 1984 Summer Olympics or whatever...

CJC105@PSUVM.BITNET (Chris) (10/01/89)

Blink version 6.7 doesn't seem to set the MEMF_CHIP flag correctly.  Has
anyone else had this problem?  I am compiling with Mr. Gibbs a68k assembler.
Is there a newer version of blink?  When I link with 'alink' everything works
fine.

                                       Chris Conrad
                                       CJC105@psuvm

pepers@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Bradley Pepers) (10/01/89)

I had this problem too. A68k seemed to generate the right flags for CHIP_DATA
but blink seemed to just strip it off! Also blink6.7 gets upset if you have
multiple hunks. I had to change the code generation of my pascal compiler to
put all code in 1 hunk. If I didn't blink6.7 would either guru when it was
linking or the generated code would guru when run. Sure would be nice if there
were another version without these troubles!

Brad Pepers

walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) (10/16/89)

writes:

>Blink version 6.7 doesn't seem to set the MEMF_CHIP flag correctly. Has
>anyone else had this problem?  I am compiling with Mr. Gibbs a68k assembler.
>Is there a newer version of blink?  When I link with 'alink' everything works
>fine.

You can definately get it to work by forcing the whole program into CHIP -
wastes some CHIP ram, but it gets around the problem (since determined to
be an A68k bug, I believe).

Just use

   BLINK FROM (executable) TO (newexecutable) CHIP

a new exe will be created with the CHIP attributes set on all hunks.

--Doug