[comp.sys.amiga.tech] net: help

henning@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (Mark D. Henning) (10/09/89)

Hi,

first of all, I would like to say how pleased I am with the Dnet-net:
program team.  I do, however have a problem.

I am able to get the net to work properly at speeds of 19200 and
lower.  I am also able to get the net to work for a limited time at
31250.  Dnet connects fterm at 57600, but netmount will not function.
The problem occurs when I have mounted a device on the remote machine
and then call for a directory.  It will sometimes finish, but more
often than not, it will lock the network (and cli) up.  The network is
then dead to the other CLI's as well.

From these facts, I conclude that I either have something incorrect in
my dnet config files, or there is a bug in either dnet or net:  (I
would assume that dnet would request mangled blocks over, if the
checksums were bad.)

I open dnet over a 300 foot+ 3 wire null-modem with the command:

run dnet -X -8 -bxxxxx -h0

I see two solutions... one hardware, one software (or configuration).
The Hardware solution would be to boost the signal (after all rs232 is
rated for 50 feet and my run is at least 6 times that), translate the
signal to something rated for longer runs (rs423?!? the mac
standard... I don't have a manual nearby, so I'm not sure of the exact
rs number), or even better... translate this new mac compatible signal
to "PHONENET" (mac's "listen in" network system) which would allow for
multiple node networking in the future, as well as pulls of nearly
1000 feet.

The software solution involves feedback from those more experienced
with dnet.  I hope that My hardware musings are wasted time.

If anyone has any advice, please email me the answer.

					Thanks in advance
					-henning
All opinions are my own, as are the spellings any deviation
from the norm is just an effect of late nights and early
mornings, with little sleep between.

aaron@madnix.UUCP (Aaron Avery) (10/11/89)

In article <7222@thor.acc.stolaf.edu> henning@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (Mark D. Henning) writes:
>I am able to get the net to work properly at speeds of 19200 and
>lower.  I am also able to get the net to work for a limited time at
>31250.  Dnet connects fterm at 57600, but netmount will not function.

Are you doing this on the built-in Amiga serial port? That port can't
reliably receive at speeds greater than 19,200 bps, when using the
serial.device. Sends are ok, but they generally don't go out at full speed.

My suggestion for speed is to use Matt's new parallel network stuff, or get
an expansion serial port which can reliably send AND receive at speeds of
57,600 bps and greater. We produce such a board.

- Aaron

--
Aaron Avery, ASDG Inc.         "A mime is a terrible thing to waste."
                                                             -- Robin Williams

walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) (10/19/89)

In article <7222@thor.acc.stolaf.edu> henning@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (Mark D. Henning) writes:
>I am able to get the net to work properly at speeds of 19200 and
>lower.  I am also able to get the net to work for a limited time at
>31250.  Dnet connects fterm at 57600, but netmount will not function.
This is exactly the behavior I have seen, and I mentioned it as such
in my documentation for NET:.

>From these facts, I conclude that I either have something incorrect in
>my dnet config files, or there is a bug in either dnet or net:  (I
>would assume that dnet would request mangled blocks over, if the
>checksums were bad.)
I don't know what DNET is seeing, but from the network's point of
view I see:
  1) The handler submits a packet to DNET for writing;  it gets
     a successful return code.

  2) The server receives and processes the packet, then writes
     the result back via DNET again.  Successful return code.

  3) The handler never receives the packet.  It's dead in the
     water.

Maybe I'm misusing DNET, I don't know.  The source code is posted,
so y'all can second-guess me.

--Doug

dillon@POSTGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (10/19/89)

:>I am able to get the net to work properly at speeds of 19200 and
:>lower.  I am also able to get the net to work for a limited time at
:>31250.  Dnet connects fterm at 57600, but netmount will not function.
:This is exactly the behavior I have seen, and I mentioned it as such
:in my documentation for NET:.

	The Amiga gets overrun errors on anything above 19.2KBaud
    when you use serial.device ... custom midi drivers can go faster,
    and third-party add on serial boards which have on-board FIFOs
    can usually handle any rate.

	But with the internal serial port, anything above 19.2KBaud
    means the Amiga's rx interrupt can't handle the rate, gets
    overruns (a MASSIVE number of overruns), the serial.device goes
    nuts and sometimes repeats parts of older buffers, and THIS
    causes DNet to go kapoof.

       Realistically, 9600 or 19.2KBaud are as fast as you should run
    it.  Under 1.4 you ought to be able to run faster as many OS bugs
    (Disabling for too long a time) will be fixed.

			-Matt