[comp.sys.amiga.tech] 68000 => 68010

nn86302@tut.fi (Neuvo Niilo Anselmi) (10/18/89)

	I am interested in replacing the 68000 in my A500 to a 68010.
	Is it just possible to remove the 68000 and replace it with
	the 68010? How much faster is the 68010? Is it compatible
	with 68000? If not is it possible to have a switch that
	selects between the chips (when the computer is turned off)?
	And most off all is it worth the trouble?

--
      NN   NN  NN   NN  NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) (10/18/89)

In article <2261@tutor.tut.fi> nn86302@tut.UUCP () writes:
<	Is it just possible to remove the 68000 and replace it with
<	the 68010?

Yes.

<How much faster is the 68010?

Depends on your application. When I did mine, I ran some benchmarks,
and it came out to be about 5% faster. Other people claim as much as
25%. The latest version of the Lattice compiler has switches to
generate code for it as well as other compilers. Running benchmarks
on a 68010 with compiled for an '010 and comparing them to the same
benchmarks compiled for the 68000 might be interesting. I'm not going
to do it.

<Is it compatible with 68000?

Mostly. Some instructions are privileged on the '010 and later
processors, and some older software will trap on that. There are a
number of software fixes for this available, if you should have that
problem.

<And most off all is it worth the trouble?

Once again, it depends. I have a magic touch with hardware - I open it
and put my fingers in it, and it breaks. I didn't think the change was
worth it. If your applications get more improvement, or you're don't
have a hardware black thumb, it could well be worth it. The
cost/performance ratio of your amiga should go up in any case. Don't
forget what it may do to your warranty.

	<mike

PS: I think this comes up often enough to warrant an entry in the
"answers to commonly asked questions" posting. Could this be made to
happen? And my apologies if it already has.

--
Lather was thirty years old today,			Mike Meyer
They took away all of his toys.				mwm@berkeley.edu

pl@etana.tut.fi (Lehtinen Pertti) (10/18/89)

	I have tried this and:

	- 68010 and 68000 are pin compatible.

	- They are almost software compatible.

	- Increase in speed is so tiny that inconveniences in
	  software compatibility made switch unusable.

--

pl@tut.fi				! All opinions expressed above are
Pertti Lehtinen				! purely offending and in subject

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (10/19/89)

In article <2261@tutor.tut.fi> nn86302@tut.UUCP () writes:
-
-
-	I am interested in replacing the 68000 in my A500 to a 68010.
-	Is it just possible to remove the 68000 and replace it with
-	the 68010? How much faster is the 68010? Is it compatible
-	with 68000? If not is it possible to have a switch that
-	selects between the chips (when the computer is turned off)?
-	And most off all is it worth the trouble?
-
You can just remove the old 68K and put in the 68010.
There is (at least) one instruction that bombs the '010 Amiga,
but there are programs like DeciGel and also (I think) PD versions
that handles this. These, however, reduces the normally not-so-great
10% advantage by some. There may exist a small board with room for
both chips that plugs in the normal socket, like the Kickstart
Selector boards, but I would say about the 68010: Don't bother.

tope@enea.se
Tommy Petersson

himacdonald@lion.waterloo.edu (Hamish Macdonald) (10/20/89)

In article <376@enea.se> tope@helios.se (Tommy Petersson) writes:
>In article <2261@tutor.tut.fi> nn86302@tut.UUCP () writes:
>-	I am interested in replacing the 68000 in my A500 to a 68010.
>-	Is it just possible to remove the 68000 and replace it with
>-	the 68010? ...
>You can just remove the old 68K and put in the 68010.
>There is (at least) one instruction that bombs the '010 Amiga,
>but there are programs like DeciGel and also (I think) PD versions
>that handles this. These, however, reduces the normally not-so-great
>10% advantage by some. ...

According to what I understand:

These programs will not slow down your Amiga.  They install a routine into
the privileged instruction exception vector.  This routine will check if
the trapped instruction was the illegal 'MOVE SR,<ea>' and will actually
execute the legal 'MOVE CCR,<ea>'.

In other words, these programs will do nothing but sit in memory unless
a program on your Amiga attempts to execute this privileged instruction.

Hamish.
Hamish Macdonald.
himacdonald@lion                        watmath!lion!himacdonald
himacdonald@lion.uwaterloo.ca      himacdonald@lion.waterloo.edu