[comp.sys.amiga.tech] BADGE Killer Demo Contest

spencer@eris.berkeley.edu (Randal m. Spencer [RmS]) (09/09/88)

Announcing the First Annual BADGE Killer Demo Contest!

The Bay area Amiga Developers GroupE is sponsoring, for the second
time (last year was the Zeroth), a competition designed to provide
some impetus to the creative and sometimes demented developers
and users of the Amiga to create some killer demos. The rewards
consist of cold hard cash, recognition throughout the Amiga
community, and some neat toys.

Last years winners included Joel Hagen, Ken Offer, Robert Wilt, Leo
Schwab, and Mark Riley. Some of the prizes from last year included
an Amiga 2000, ASDG Memory board, MicroBotics Starboard II,
Lattice & Manx C compilers, and 3 year subscriptions to Info
magazine.

Last years winning demos were distributed to dealers and in the
Fred Fish Freely Redistributable Library disks 112 - 127.

This year we are doing it again...

Two categories:	Custom Programs and Tool Based demos  (Anims)

Environment:	1 meg machine, 2 floppies, WorkBench 1.3 running

Technical Qualifications:
		Runs from Workbench or CLI
		Runs from within a drawer on any device
		Runs on all KickStart supported processors
		If no obvious close gadget, input causes exit
		Returns all memory and resources, doesn't write to disk

Entry:		Letter of Intent	September 15, 1988
		Final Submission	September 29, 1988

Judging:	October 20, 1988 meeting of Bay Area Developers GroupE
		All attending are eligible to vote
		Spelling doesn't count

Send a letter of intent or inquiries for more information to:

		BADGE Killer Demo Contest
	c/o Randy Spencer P.O. Box 4542, Berkeley CA 94704

Include your name, address, and phone number; and an SASE for a
complete listing of the rules and suggestions

Phone number (415) 222-7595    ----    BBS number (415) 222-9416

Amiga is a registered trademark of Commodore Business Machines
"He who dies with the most toys... is dead"
Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)222-7595
spencer@mica.berkeley.edu        I N F I N I T Y         BBS: (415)222-9416
..ucbvax!mica!spencer            s o f t w a r e                  AAA-WH1M

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (09/09/88)

In article <14039@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> spencer@eris.berkeley.edu (Randal m. Spencer [RmS]) writes:

>[much deleted]
> Environment:	1 meg machine, 2 floppies, WorkBench 1.3 running
> [much more deleted]

Ok.  As soon as I get my developer's kit I'll start working... or are
you suggesting that 1.3 will be finished and available to nornal
people soon?  :-)

{ The assumption here is that I'm normal  :-[]  }

Tom
--
       Tom Limoncelli -- Drew University, Box 1060, Madison, NJ 07940
  TLimonce@Drew.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net -- VoiceMail (201)408-5389

mroth@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Roth) (09/09/88)

In article <14039@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> spencer@eris.berkeley.edu (Randal m. Spencer [RmS]) writes:
>Announcing the First Annual BADGE Killer Demo Contest!
>
>Environment:	1 meg machine, 2 floppies, WorkBench 1.3 running
                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Entry:		Letter of Intent	September 15, 1988
>		Final Submission	September 29, 1988

Are you trying to restrict the number of contestants or has 1.3 come out
already and I just never heard about it?  Not all of us have access to
the Omega versions of 1.3.

(Not that I would enter the contest, but that even if I wanted to I couldn't.)

Maybe you should rethink this.

Mike Roth       -        ihnp4!ihlpf!mroth  (or whatever other way works)

mriley@pnet02.cts.com (Mark Riley) (09/11/88)

>> WorkBench 1.3

Ditto here.  I don't have a copy of the 1.3 stuff (not being an
"official" developer.)  I do want to enter the contest, but I'm
gonna have to just assume my stuff will work with WB 1.3, etc...
I really don't anticipate any problems, but the contest does
seem to have a bias towards the official developer types because
of the 1.3 restriction.  I'm not sure what it costs to be a developer
but I understand it could be as much as several hundred bucks
or so.  Too much for me.  In any case, I'm happy with working
with the OS as it stands.  I'd really hate to write a program
using a 1.3 function and find out (after releasing the product)
that several hundred thousand 500 owners haven't gotten around
to upgrading to 1.3 (1.4, 1.5, et al) and thus can't use and
won't buy my program because it has a silly "Needs 1.3" sticker
on it.  My philosphy is to write programs for the least common
denominator when it comes to hardware (512K) and OS (1.2).

-Mark-

UUCP: ...!crash!gryphon!pnet02!mriley   BIX: mriley    LAT: 34.25 N
INET: mriley@pnet02.cts.com             PLINK: SONIX   LONG: 118.78 W

"Hey, I don't _use_ programs, I write them..."  ;-)

darin@nova.laic.uucp (Darin Johnson) (09/14/88)

In article <6831@gryphon.CTS.COM>, mriley@pnet02.cts.com (Mark Riley) writes:
> >> WorkBench 1.3
>
> Ditto here.  I don't have a copy of the 1.3 stuff (not being an
> "official" developer.)  I do want to enter the contest, but I'm
> gonna have to just assume my stuff will work with WB 1.3, etc...
> I really don't anticipate any problems, but the contest does
> seem to have a bias towards the official developer types because
> of the 1.3 restriction.

Actually, it is a little late to enter anyway...

The rule about 1.3 was put in eons back when it was assumed 1.3 would
come out "in a month or two".  The restriction was so that demos would
work with 1.3 which dealers, new users, etc. would undoubtedly be running.
Besides, you wouldn't want to show a demo to your friends and say:
"wait just a few minutes while I try to find where I put that dang
1.2 disk...".  If 1.3 came out tomorrow, I doubt that the judges will
take those rules as absolute (there might be heated discussions though).

Also, since 1.3 has been pretty well described on the net, and I haven't
heard of developer's complaining that program X won't run under 1.3,
I would assume that a reasonably well written program for 1.2 would
run under 1.3 (as compared to the (poorly written?) 1.1 programs that
crashed under 1.2).

Also, there are a few non-registered-developers who are BADGE members,
and I don't think BADGE would discriminate on that basis.  Actually,
there are no qualifications for membership (they haven't booted me out!)
except for an interest the technical side of the Amiga.  In fact, there
are really less than a handful of "official" members, but only because
Stanford required a certain number of members before BADGE (BAADG?) could
become offical.  The majority of the "attendees" are just freeloaders ;-)

Darin Johnson (...pyramid.arpa!leadsv!laic!darin)
              (...ucbvax!sun!sunncal!leadsv!laic!darin)
	"All aboard the DOOMED express!"

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (10/21/89)

Well, folks, I'm just back from the third annual BADGE Killer Demo Contest.
This contest, under the name BKDC-2 (the first was BKDC-0), went well beyond
anything I expected.  The demos were so incredible I'm planning to make a
videotape for myself to keep for another decade or so.  I am simply stunned,
absolutely amazed, at what people were able to do.

There were 30 entries shown, and the vast majority were simply superb.  They
were also big (all thirty take 36 megabytes of a hard disk.)  But I don't
think anyone will be disappointed when they see them.

I'll leave a description of the various demos to others, but they ran the
gamut from astonishing custom demos showing off the raw power of the machine,
to humorous cartoon-like animations, to incredibly realistic 3-d animations.

Thanks to Lee and Ali Ozer, Gary Starkweather, and Grant [something], who
ran the entire show did a marvelous job.  Special thanks to those who
took the time to enter the contest.

-tom