[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Popup menus?

mcafee@tallis.dec.com (10/19/89)

I was just wondering if we are ever going to get support for
pop-up menus in WB1.4 or thereafter.

For the most part, I think the old menus are OK, but as screens
get larger, it becomes more and more of a nuisance to have to go
up there to select something...

Also, based on what we seen on other PC's I think this would
be a good thing for CBM to standardize before programmers start
coming up with there own schemes.  The interesting thing about
popups are that they are sensitive to precisely where you are
clicking.  I'm not sure how easy it would be for this to be
integrated with Intuition.  Maybe it would be better to keep
the actual popup menu functions outside of Intuition in a
popup-library.  Then the application could watch for mouse
button events and handle the popup stuff itself.  Does this
sound like a reasonable method?

regards,

steve mcafee
| Easynet: TALLIS::MCAFEE                                 |
|    uucp: {decvax,ucbvax,allegra}decwrl!dec-tallis!mcafee|
|Internet: mcafee@tallis.enet.dec.com                     |

new@udel.edu (Darren New) (10/19/89)

In article <8910191430.AA06298@decwrl.dec.com> mcafee@tallis.dec.com writes:
>Maybe it would be better to keep
>the actual popup menu functions outside of Intuition in a
>popup-library.  Then the application could watch for mouse
>button events and handle the popup stuff itself.  Does this
>sound like a reasonable method?

Except that there is a flag which allows you to delay or even cancel
menu operations.  Many program use this flag.  If you use the same graphics
call to swap the menu bitmap with the screen bitmap, you will need to
implement this kind of delaying mechanism and therefore must modify
intuition.  If you bring the pop-up menu up in a separate layer, this
would not need to be done but would be slower.  Good luck writing
the library! :-)                  -- Darren

kirkb@cod.NOSC.MIL (Kirk Baker) (10/20/89)

[]

	I have some popup-menu routines that I wrote last May.  They take
an Intuition menuitem list, and will render a menu on the screen that looks
nearly identical to a real Intuition menu, except that they don't crash if
they are too big, and they don't have to be attached to the menubar.  If a
user brings up the menu too close to an edge, the menu will be 'slid' over
to fit on the screen.  It supports images, multiple intuitext's, and
disabled items.  I have tried all kinds of things, like 2-d arrays of items,
long intuitext's, etc. and all thus far have worked.  NOTE: my routines
do not yet handle mutual exclusion, or checkitems, but someone could add
them if they wish (the code is well commented).  The code is reentrant, and
would be a perfect addition to someone's library.
	Mail me if you want them, and if there are too many responses, I will
post them.  If anyone has any suggestions for posting places, then please
let me know.

Kirk

Kirk A. Baker, Bonehead Research.   kirkb@cod.nosc.mil.UUCP

In article <8910191430.AA06298@decwrl.dec.com> mcafee@tallis.dec.com writes:
> The interesting thing about
> popups are that they are sensitive to precisely where you are
> clicking.

They don't have to be. There's no reason standard menus can't work under
a popup paradigm. Personally, I'd prefer it that way... context-sensitive
menus, like in X, bug me.
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva      `-_-'
...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.hackercorp.com  'U`

jdm@gryphon.COM (John Mesiavech) (10/21/89)

In article <8910191430.AA06298@decwrl.dec.com> mcafee@tallis.dec.com writes:

>I was just wondering if we are ever going to get support for
>pop-up menus in WB1.4 or thereafter.

[mich deleted for brevity]

There's a PD program running around called MenuPal that does EXACTLY what
you require.  It offers support for not only popup menus but tear-off menus
(a tear-off menu is a menu that can be "removed" from the menu bar, thereafter
being displayed in a window on the screen.) as well.  The archive has no
source, but will send it off to anyone who wants it and (if enough requests)
to comp.binaries.amiga.

The only problem it has is when rendering a menu with CHECKMARK enabled...
the checkmark will someetimes obscure part of the menu text.

John

d87-khd@sm.luth.se (Karl-Gunnar Hultland) (10/26/89)

I have a comercial program called
InnovaTools1 and with PowerWindows 2.5 (both from the same supplier)
I can write popupmenus,knobs etc with marginal overhead.
Theese popupmenus use standard Menu structures and they work fine for me.

disclaimer as I don't even remember the name of the company, and as I
have no connection at all with them theese opinions are mine.

< Karl 'Kalle' Hultland    <$>                                               >
< Dept. of Comp. sci.      <$> d87-khd@sm.luth.se |                          >
< University of Lulea      <$> {uunet,mcvax}!sunic.se!sm.luth.se!d87-khd     >
< Sweden                   <$>                                               >
<      If two people agree on EVERYTHING , one of them is OBSOLETE!!         >