[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Port vs MsgPort

dlarson@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dale Larson) (10/24/89)

Is there any difference between a Port and a MsgPort?  I can't even find
a definition of Port in the 1.3 autodocs, but the _RKM: Libraries and
Devices_ sections on Console and Serial devices use pointers to Ports
while I've been using pointers to MsgPorts.

Please reply by email.  Since there is a small but finite probability that
someone else is interested in this question and is also too stupid to be able
to find an answer in the docs on his/her own, I will post a summary.

--
	    A lack of prior planning on the part of any programmer
		       always constitutes an emergency.

           Digital Teddy Bear      dlarson@blake.acs.washington.edu

bartonr@jove.cs.pdx.edu (Robert Barton) (10/26/89)

.edu (Dale Larson) writes:
>  Again, I can find no reference to CreateExtIO() in the AutoDocs.

  Try looking on page F-2 of Includes & Autodocs, or on page A-49 of
Libraries and Devices.

>  I guess this is one of the problems people are refering to when they say
>the RKM's suck.

  Anyone with BIX access can report mistakes or ambiguities in the manuals
to the amiga.dev/book.comments area.  There was a recent message in that
topic (see message #261) specifically asking for corrections for what will
be the new Libs & Devs (consisting of the old Exec, Intuition, and L & D
manuals minus the include files and function descriptions).  So if anybody
knows of anything that needs to be corrected or clarified, report it now or
it may have to wait for the next revisions (1.5 ?)

> In the pages below, all references to "struct Port" should apparently be
> changed to "struct MsgPort"

  Consider it reported.

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (10/27/89)

In article <1863@psueea.UUCP> bartonr@jove.cs.pdx.edu (Robert Barton) writes:
>  Anyone with BIX access can report mistakes or ambiguities in the manuals
>to the amiga.dev/book.comments area.  There was a recent message in that

And anyone with Usenet access can report them to uunet!cbmvax!bugs

(gee, I hope I got this followup out before the 'commercial service' flames

(BTW, you can make enhancement suggestions by mailing them to
 uunet!cbmvax!suggestions )

		andy
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

Life gets pretty complex the minute you stop mooing.