[comp.sys.amiga.tech] ProWriter Printer Driver

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (10/24/89)

I am attempting to write a 1.3 printer driver for a CItoh ProWriter
using Manx C and am having a number of problems. (No Laughing, Please).
I believe that I am having problems when the driver functions are being
called, but not sure.

I purchased the 1.3 developer's update from Commodore, but I'm a little
lost and sure could use some help.

1) Is there a 1.3 compatible ProWriter driver out there that supports
more than the lowest resolution? (Ok, so I'm lazy)

2) Is my problem that I am using Manx C?

3) Is there any source code that is close which I could look at (Manx),
because I really would like to figure this thing out.

Again, I have purchased the copyrighted stuff from Commodore, so no
need to duplicate that. Just would like to to get a little better
resolution out of my ProWriter.

Thanks,
Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
        Motto : "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing"

Kent D. Polk in <22640@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> asks about C.Itoh ProWriter
(presumably model 8510B) printer drivers for the Amiga and 1.3.

What I've been using for QUITE some time is:

CLI2> ls -l devs:printers
----ar-e- 88-09-06 21:20:34    7     3300 Diablo_630
----ar-e- 88-09-06 21:20:50   12     5732 Diablo_C-150
----ar-e- 88-09-06 21:21:24   11     5440 Okimate_20
----ar-e- 87-04-05 21:47:29    7     3248 PROWRITER
----ar-e- 88-09-06 21:20:57   14     7024 Xerox_4020
Dirs:0    Files:5    Blocks:51    Bytes:24744
CLI2>

Considering that back then I had been using Manx exclusively (I now also have
Lattice), it must have been compiled using Manx.  This driver does graphics
dumps even under 1.3 with NO problems ... it doesn't do italics, but the
printer itself doesn't have a built-in italic character set.

I don't understand Kent's:
	"Is there a 1.3 compatible ProWriter driver out
	there that supports more than the lowest resolution?"

When in "binary bit map" mode, the printer has but one resolution, so I don't
see how the "DENSITY" (in Preferences Graphic Screen 2) is relevant.

Kent continues:
	"Is there any source code that is close which I could 	look at (Manx),
	because I really would like to figure this thing out."

How would you like it?  Posted, email, uuencoded, tar'd (and feathered :-) ?

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (10/27/89)

In article <23394@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>> Kent D. Polk in <22640@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> asks about C.Itoh ProWriter
>(presumably model 8510B) printer drivers for the Amiga and 1.3.

8510A circa 1982 - I didn't know there was a 'B' Model. As someone
mentioned in a response, I'd get an updated printer, but this thing
won't wear out & I can't justify one until it does :^)

>What I've been using for QUITE some time is:
>
>----ar-e- 87-04-05 21:47:29    7     3248 PROWRITER

Mine - circa 8-86:
  CItohProwriter              ---ar-e-    3292    7  24-May-89 18:28:58

>[...] This driver does graphics
>dumps even under 1.3 with NO problems ... it doesn't do italics, but the
>printer itself doesn't have a built-in italic character set.

Mine works under 1.3, but never did graphics very good. Takes two
passes to complete a line & thus leaves a vertical trail about 3/4th's
the way across the page where the second pass occured.

>> [...]that supports more than the lowest resolution?"
>
>When in "binary bit map" mode, the printer has but one resolution, so I don't
>see how the "DENSITY" (in Preferences Graphic Screen 2) is relevant.

Mine has four resolutions when in "Bit Image Graphics" mode:
         Pitch              Dots Per Inch  Dots Per Line
  10 CPI (Pics)                  80            640
  12 CPI (Elite)                 96            786
  17 CPI (Compressed print)     136           1088
  Proportional Spacing          160           1280
(from p.3-43 Users Manual)
Graphics resolution is set by changing the print pitch.

Last year someone posted a prowriter driver which he said supported 3
densities, so i downloaded it. Unfortunately, it was exactly the same
file as mine (checked it 3 times to make sure I wasn't screwing up), so
I figure he sent the wrong one. Unfortunately, I could not reach him to
inform him of the mistake and never pursued the problem since I didn't
use graphics much with this printer. Well my wife has taken an
attraction to ProWrite & I sure wish I could get decent output at a
higher density from it now. (Use ProScript for important stuff)

>>	"Is there any source code that is close which I could look at (Manx),
>How would you like it?  Posted, email, uuencoded, tar'd (and feathered :-) ?

shar'ed or zoo'ed,uuencoded & Emailed, Please.